• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training diary for 81m CWNF

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will

Freediver
Jun 20, 2003
1st October
Today was the first day of training in Sharm, even if I arrived in the Sinai 2 weeks ago. At first I went up to Dahab to help with the Blue Spirit event and hopefully train in the Blue Hole. After the first couple of dives to 60 and 67 meters I came down with a throat infection, which developed also into an ear infection. Thanks to Dr Adel and 8 days of no diving (can you imagine 8 days dry in Dahab?) I am now completely recovered, and before leaving Dahab I had a dive to 72m.
Mike Lott arrived last night, and he will be safetying for my training dives over the next 3 weeks in the lead up to the world record attempt on the 24th. This morning, after the usual lung and body stretches in my room we cruised down to the little beach in front of Club Sharm. We swam out to the descent line, which is in 90m of water, a short swim from the floating pontoon. There was a little wind, and the odd wave was breaking over us, so I chose to breathe up through my snorkel. After about 8 minutes of slow breathing I duck-dived and started swimming down. In the Bahamas I would take 6 strokes before freefall, but here and in the Mediterranean where the water is saltier I use 7. Because this was the first dive in new conditions we had decided that I wouldn’t do more than 70, so I turned as soon as I saw the first fat yellow marker.
During the ascent I concentrated on lengthening my stroke out, counting the number of strokes so as to see whether the 4 months of hard pool training in Sardinia had improved my technique. 21 strokes to reach the surface, and a dive time of 2’33” for a depth of 70.72m. It was the easiest dive since I arrived, and I didn’t feel any CO2 narcosis on the bottom or contractions during the ascent.

Reactions: sanso and Sergiu
2nd October
Another beautiful day in the Red Sea. When we wake at 7:15 the sun is already high above, looking down its nose at the sleepyhead freedivers. The temperature is filling up the 20’s, and the sea is 27ºC on the surface and still 24.5º at depth.
Yesterday we left the descent line in the water, so no time lost in set-up. A short swim to the line, 8 minutes of breathe-up, a duckdive and I'm off. Today the target was ‘something between 72 and 74.’ The descent line is marked with yellow tape every meter between 70 and 80, and I let a few of these pass by before grabbing the line with my left hand and reaching out with my right (that bears the Liquivision F1, the most accurate depth gauge in the world) to snatch an immaginary tag from the rope. At the same moment my left hand pulls on the line and I am already ascending towards the surface.
At 73.5m, and with a dive time of 2’42”, the dive was even easier than yesterday’s. During the ascent I stopped swimming below 10m, letting the positive buoyancy pull me to the surface.
Afterwards Mike made a nice relaxed dive to 35m. He has been out of deep water since May, so is just taking it easy and building back down.

3rd October
Today was the first day I have ever seen clouds in Egypt. In the Sinai if it rains twice a year then Allah has been a good boy.
It was the fourth day straight of training, so I was feeling a bit tired, but I had decided to have a dive anyway. There were more waves today, and they somehow pushed me against the current, meaning it was difficult to relax completely, and I overbreathed slightly. My breathing was slow like always (3-5 breaths/minute), but even at this rate if I breathe too long then I flush out too much CO2 and the dive reflex will be reduced. It is the most delicate part of the dive.
So during the descent I had the slightest feeling of pins and needles in my feet. If these hypocapnic signals had been any stronger I would have immediately aborted the dive, but I didn’t think it was that serious. In fact I finished the dive to 75.7m in a dive time of 2’46”, without any problems. Once again I took the last armstroke below 10m, and this means I was 100% in control at the end of the ascent.
Tomorrow is a well-earnt day of rest!

Lovely and interesting.
Keep it coming.
Whats in your stomach on a dive?
Or rather whats in your blood, any special care to add something to the diet.

Sebastian

Fantastic read. Keep them coming and best of luck!

Cheers,
Ben

here is a pic of will coming up from a 67m dive at the blue hole :) :)

Attachments

• orca.jpg
    orca.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 251
  • top_water.jpg
    top_water.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 211
Exciting - best of luck to you! Good health and safe travels, too.

Congratulations Will,

It seems that you are on the perfect way. Thanks for your help also (the taxi driver).

Did you have any contractions in the hypocapnic dive?

PS: Did you see any "cow" down there? hahaha

Great stuff to read Will
21 strokes to surface, good work out.

So can you tell us little more about the dive, the dive profile. How is the bouancy, when do your start to freefall ? How much of the time is spent freefalling.

Best of luck. Have a fun and safe dive.

Last edited:
Good read, thanks for sharing it with us...

Go for it and stay away from the Barracudas!

Great reading !!!!
Wish I could be there again like last time. I am sure you will make it easy this time.

great reading Will, keep the diary going even on your day-offs!

You mentioned some months of pool training in Sardinia to improve your ascent stroke tehnique. I wonder what is your stroke count on a 50m pool (or 25m) to compare it with the CNF strokes (your case 21 from about 70m). I was trying to calculate this ratio for myself too the number of stokes CNF vs. DNF in an effort to find (good) ways to train in the pool for improving the constant no-fins performance.

Any tips on pool training will be greatly appreciated.

Serge

Cebaztian: If you want to find out what I am eating just call Club Sharm! You should know yourself reasonably well what their menu is like. I take 10g/day of spirulina, and the odd vitamin, but that's about it.
Flojt: I reach -ve buoyancy at about 15m, and start the freefall at ~25m (7 descent strokes). Average descent speed is about 0.9m/s.
Sergiu: my stroke count in a 25m pool (saltwater, no suit) when I am cruising is 5/lap. I can do a lap in 3 (and less if I swim upside down), but it is not as energy efficient. Also I don't wear a neckweight (I am not a dog, and don't need a collar :p Lap times are 19-21 seconds during a training table. So for a relaxed stroke I cover 5m in both CWNF and DNF (doesn't take into account advantage of push off wall).
More updates to come soon,
Will.

Are you being lazy Will ;-)
No energy left for the training diary.
14 days to go.

Sebastian
sweden

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT