• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

translation help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ZOHARA

Oct 28, 2005
I am assisting with some translation for our website. One of the words I am struggling with is agachon. It is my understanding, this practice is swiming to the bottom, laying still, and waiting for the fish to come to you, rather than stalking, etc...

If anyone would like to offer an american translation of this word, I would appreciate it. I just can't think of a single one word translation.

Thanks in advance.

Zak

Virgil,

That is helpful. Ambush is pretty much what it is. Although I don't think we'll use it as it doesn't really work with the rest of the text. I have already decided to use stalking and hunting, and leave it at that. I know that is not what agachon is, but for our needs it will suffice.

Thanks again!

Zak

Americans often use the term 'aspetto', but that usually has to be translated too :D.

"Agachon" in french and "aspetto" in italian are the words for the hunting technique in wich you wait for fishes to come in your range, while you're laying on the bottom or partly hidden behind a rock. It is used for mullet, bass, sargo, dentex...

Thanks again Spaghetti. I appreciate your feedback. We are looking forward to launching the new Sporasub website soon. If you are inclined keep an eye out for it.

Zak

spaghetti said:
"Agachon" in french and "aspetto" in italian are the words for the hunting technique in wich you wait for fishes to come in your range, while you're laying on the bottom or partly hidden behind a rock. It is used for mullet, bass, sargo, dentex...

Hey Spaghetti, hell...big sargos overhere, are to smart for aspetto nowadays..:) ..or it might be me..:)
By the way, do you know the name of that guy that made that "tutto dentici" video?
Cheers

greendiver said:
Hey Spaghetti, hell...big sargos overhere, are to smart for aspetto nowadays..:) ..or it might be me..:)
By the way, do you know the name of that guy that made that "tutto dentici" video?
Cheers
Dutch, Sargos are becoming too smart for everything in the upper Med: they don't even hide in caves and holes any more, they just escape to open sea soon as they feel our presence. I got only a couple of good size ones this month. But I'm happy for you: barracudas, gilthead, WOW Greendiver!

ZAK- Talking of words, I still wonder if there's a proper english word for the aspetto/agachon technique. Maybe "ambush" gives the idea, but by chance the italian word for "ambush" is "agguato", which is a different tecnique...this translation thing is sort of puzzling me...:duh
Sporasub new website? great! I've always loved this brand and it's long time been waiting for the new site :)

spaghetti said:
...ZAK- Talking of words, I still wonder if there's a proper english word for the aspetto/agachon technique. Maybe "ambush" gives the idea, but by chance the italian word for "ambush" is "agguato", which is a different tecnique...this translation thing is sort of puzzling me...:duh
Hi Spaghetti, can you explain the difference between aspetto & agguato? I have been trying to think of other words for you, the only thing I have come up with so far is stalking, as in deer stalking. The meaning is different though - it involves tracking the animal, following and then shooting. I think the sense of movement is an important aspect of stalking. Ambush seems closer to aspetto. We probably use the French or Italian words because we have no precise word for it. (Similarly in climbing, Brits tend to use the German word abseil while Americans tend to use the French word rappel because we don't have a word for it and we want to use something that will have only one distinct meaning, in English).

I wonder if there is a word to cover the technique pigeon shooters & wildfowlers use when they sit, wait & fire from a hide? ("Hiding"!:D) This seems like it might be a closer technique than stalking.

We don't have an italian word for Gin, Whisky and Rum, which makes our language so poor!
These are the italian terms for the 5 spearfishing techniques (only the first and second ones are now international words, the others are...just italian words):
Aspetto= Waiting (from a static position, you wait for fish to come closer into your shooting range)
Agguato = Ambush (dynamic action seizing the fish around, including inspections in the weed, short aspettos, swimming around rocks to ambush fishes by surprise)
Tana = Cave/hole (seizing fish investigating inside holes and under rocks)
Caduta= Falling down (localize fish from above, dive straight down and shoot while descending)
Razzolo= Stracthing about (a mix of all the previous techniques performed in shallow waters).

Agachon is a word from the Provençal language, from Provence, South of France. It means in French "affût"; or lying in wait [hunting]; ambush's closer, IMHO, as mentioned earlier. Curiously, in Portugal they call it agachon too, but in Spain (I think) and in Brazil we call it "espera" (wait), like aspetto, in Italian, isn't it? The only place I heard aspetto mentioned outside Italy was the US (it's spreading to Oz too). A big credit for that goes to Mark L. from Technosport.

Agguato is hunting Indian (or native-american, for the PC) style. Moving from ambush places to others, like Spaghetti said. Caduta is bomb-diving; the French call it "coulée" (sinking).

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Wow,
I haven't been receiving notifications of the thread until now. This is interesting reading. I thought about using the word ambush, however it didn't apply with the rest of the text. I'll let everyone know when the site comes up. Maybe you'll be able to see where I made the reference to agachon w/ out using the word.

All the best everyone.

Zak

Ted Budion said:
...The only place I heard aspetto mentioned outside Italy was the US (it's spreading to Oz too). ...
Caduta is bomb-diving; the French call it (sinking).
UK spearos use both Aspetto (I picked it up of the forum, I think some of the Guernsey spearos, perhaps Portinfer?, use it) or use Agachon (like Spearo Dave). Probably depends on your influences, friends/training/DVDs/videos/books/travels/...

"affût" - translating this on-line, it came back with "hiding-place". So perhaps hiding, waiting or ambush is close. If no hiding is involved (e.g. just dropping to an unconcealled position) then perhaps waiting is most accurate.

For "caduta"/"coulée", dive-bombing might be a useful English phrase.

'If anyone would like to offer an american translation of this word, I would appreciate it. I just can't think of a single one word translation. '

The Greeks use 'ambush', or in their own language 'Karteri' which means waiting point or ambush point, probably because ambushes were set to trap marauding pirates in the 1800's. I used to think it was from card playing, since 'kartes' means playing cards ha ha! Like sitting at a card table with a poker face...

To Spaghetti I would pass a tip I got only a month ago concerning Sargos, that really works. Maybe you know this already, but I'm only spearing since April (diving years though), and it was a real revelation, because they are damned smart like you say. If you gently and repeatedly tap the but of your gun on the rock you are hiding behind, as though you are picking at something like shellfish, that is how they feed, so they will be curious to see if you loosen up something they can eat too. I couldn't believe how well this worked on the very first try! In fact, the practice of acting like you are on the bottom busily doing something other than waiting to kill fish, seems to really bring a few varieties closer! Concentrate on the rock (mostly) and not the fish, until they get close and curious as to what you are digging at...

Reactions: Mr. X
Wow, thread revived 10 years & 2 months after the last post! Hope Spaghetti responds - haven't heard from him lately :(.

I think you are right, animals inc. fish can "read body language" or sense what you are up to - at least well enough to determine if you are in the predation business. Which I think is why some successful predators are so laid back e.g. trigger fish (which act v. docile while they try to bite your finger) and seals (act playful rather than intense like a fox or cat).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT