• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Transporting a speargun on a plane

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Spearo21

Apr 21, 2008
Hi all,

with a bit of luck I'll be going down to Durban and the South Coast from Pretoria during July. I'm hoping to fly down to be able to spend more time in the water. Can anyone give some advice on how to get my speargun and gear on an airplane without me being arrested for terrorism? :)

Any advice/tips will be appreciated.

check it in the plane cargo, dont try and bring it on the flight, use a bag (preferably rigind bags or very well padded) to avoid damage to your gear...do not use the word Gun, its fishing equipment or fishing slings..
i would assume its rather ok to travel with spearguns in SA, it seems to be quite a popular sport there, i dont think there will be an issue. lets see what other members from SA have to say though...

It is no problem to check speargun in with your luggage - I have been all over the world with it. Obviously, you cannot take it as hand luggage. You can also go to your local DIY shop and buy piece of plastic tube, slightly longer than your longest spear. This'll make sure they do not get bent.
porta_varillas.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X
I am looking to travel by car from SA for a bit of r&r to Mozambique. Anybody know if border crossing is an issue with spearguns. I would probably take 900 and 1200 Rob Allens. I suppose they could pass as camping equipment if in a bag.

I would hate to use someones elses equipment - my setups are specific and why should I be "forced" to use someone else equipment.

Hi

Did a trip to Ponta about 2 months ago, took all the gear along. We also had a big fishing boat, and I stowed my gun with all the rods etc.

The officials at the post did not really seem too interrested in what we had on the boat - they were more concerned about the 3 freezers we took with. Comming back no problems with gear - just had to unpack 2 of the freezers (which were almost empty - had a bad 10 days for fishing).

I'm also heading for Umkomaas in a few weeks - let me know if you had any issues on any flight.

Cheers

Yeah, taking spearguns to Moz is no problem, and we encountered the same interest for our fridge/freezer. On the way back I gave the customs officer an ice cold Coke (it was 40 + degrees) and that got us through without further kak.
10 kg of frozen prawns and fish fillets went unnoticed.
Actually that border is so chaotic that you could in fact just drive through without anyone batting an eyelid.

As far as flying with spearguns is concerned, no probs, just don't use the word gun(pole/sling is better) and put it in the hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT