• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Travel case for panama straw hat and 70cm gun, shafts, fins?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
Looking for a replacement for my travel bag. I am looking at Sportube series 3. Anybody used them? I am wondering, would it be large and practical enough to accommodate not just speargun but also long blade fins and some of my travel clothing? My lady has my future travel bag in mind too, for her hat a gallon of wine LoL , for real, she does.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
ha! I found better solution. Look at this, I think it will work better than skiing snowboarding or hockey travel bags. Golf case. Solid 137 cm hard shell airline approved luggage case. Made by Samsonite.

1578456813295.png

Last edited:
Looks like a good find. Also, what bums me out about Sportubes is how heavy they are. That said, I might have to get one some day.

As for “airline approved luggage” that’s a source of constant confusion. Many airlines have a max linear dimension of the total of the length + width + depth and for some of them, this golf case might be subject to odd size fees. Supposedly, 62” or 157cm is a common max measurement but I’ve seen some that were lower but also recently flown an airline where it was 300cm total which is huge.
Then of course some airlines have free golf bag allowance, which likely would be easy to get with this bag whereas others now charge for that. It gets even more muddy when trying to discern what is allowed to bring on as “sports equipment” on some airlines vs. others.
Outside of the US I think it’s more common for airlines to give you a total weight allowance so they don’t care if you check in one bag or four as long as you are not over weight on the total. But you can get caught out here, too as a few still only give you a one bag allowance.
Another curiosity I came across the least time I was flying to Indonesia; supposedly one of the airlines servicing Indo let’s you check in a surfboard for free whereas others charge a fair bit for it and I think at least one other airline won’t even take it.
Short version; these days, it’s best to check ahead...;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
UPD: Thank Goodness a hat that doesn’t fall into my eyes and that I can pull all the way on without the top sticking up. I guess I have a small head but not overly so, people don’t comment on it or anything but I do have a hard time with hats swimming on me. Maybe people do talk, just not to my face. I chose the color that was 15 dollars instead of all the 30 dollar colors. Makes me feel like a hunter and this makes sense anyway since it’s deer hunting season and my coat is brown and they say you definitely don’t want to dress like a deer while doing site visits this time of year. This hat has a nice fleece lining and thickness that will keep my tiny head warm while not getting shot at, hopefully. More at https://www.dapperfam.com/collections/winter-hats.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT