• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

....travel-speargun....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
On another thread I proposed a travel gun broken down to carry the spears inside the barrel tube, the sealing bungs being removable "O" ring based units. While some here seemed to find this an amusing thought I suggest they know zip about transporting guns overseas. One thing I don't like is integral tip spears, for example I would rather the Reaper had screw tip shafts and the Reaper Travel gun a closed muzzle, ideally the Magnum muzzle version of that gun. The only time you need an open muzzle is tabbed shafts and having shot most mainstream guns that is from a user's perspective. Integral tip shafts are cheap to make, plus I like double floppers and you don't often see them on integral tips.

Found it here.

Last edited:
In Australia the Customs fee is 10 percent of the product and shipping cost combined. Now once shipping a gun here was around 50 to 70 dollars, but now it is 170 dollars, which is what it cost me to buy a JBL Sawed-Off XHD Magnum a few years ago from the USA. The JBL Reaper Travel gun shown here cost me all up nearly a grand AUD, which was kind of off putting, but if I wanted to check one out that was the only option. AUD is currently only worth around 67 cents USD and the gun alone was just over USD 500. The reason for that shipping expense is the size of the Travel Magnum carry case. Without the carry case the shipping package could have been much smaller. Generally the length of the gun pushes the shipping cost up, for example although it eventually came at a much lower shipping cost initial quotes for shipping the Seal 130 Rollergun were USD 600! From memory it eventually came here for about a third of that in terms of shipping alone, then Customs got 10 percent of that.

Now one advantage of a travel gun is that it is half the length of a standard speargun and that makes it much cheaper to ship. If you break the gun down further by shipping it with barrels separated from handle and muzzle you should be able to squeeze the gun down even more in terms of package length. With the dealer's assistance I had a stainless steel Biller tube gun sent in pieces, the only problem was the spear, but that came separately, in fact I had a number of shafts shipped to make it worthwhile sending a second package, so I would not discount overseas sales completely if I were you.
Yes that is a bonus of the breakdown gun! My shipping to Australia is around $70 depending a bit on the gun length. I don't charge for shipping in the states but it is usually only $10-$30. Oh and when the guns are disassembled you have 4 equal length pieces (2 gun, 2 shaft).

On another thread I proposed a travel gun broken down to carry the spears inside the barrel tube, the sealing bungs being removable "O" ring based units. While some here seemed to find this an amusing thought I suggest they know zip about transporting guns overseas. One thing I don't like is integral tip spears, for example I would rather the Reaper had screw tip shafts and the Reaper Travel gun a closed muzzle, ideally the Magnum muzzle version of that gun. The only time you need an open muzzle is tabbed shafts and having shot most mainstream guns that is from a user's perspective. Integral tip shafts are cheap to make, plus I like double floppers and you don't often see them on integral tips.

Found it here.
It is a cool idea! My dad had the same thought few years ago and we brainstormed on it a bit. The main issue my guns specifically is that the spear halves wouldn't fit inside the barrel. Now, I could increase the length of the connection to fit them, but this would increase the overall "packed" length. Also, O-ring and rubber barrel plugs fail at some point especially for deeper divers. I'd guess that this risk is increased if they are being removed often. I use 4ea carbon fiber/epoxy plugs - two in each side.

As with anything, there are trade-offs.. But from my perspective, increasing the packed length and increasing the possibility of failure didn't justify the convenience.

Yes that is a bonus of the breakdown gun! My shipping to Australia is around $70 depending a bit on the gun length. I don't charge for shipping in the states but it is usually only $10-$30. Oh and when the guns are disassembled you have 4 equal length pieces (2 gun, 2 shaft).
That shipping of 70 US dollars is pretty reasonable. An individual buying a gun here from the States is going to pay at least that and most likely much more for a one-piece gun. How distributors here can offer guns at reasonable prices is bulk shipments which may even be surface shipped which costs a lot less. Some of my longest guns, which are around five and a half feet long, came here by ship which took 3 months, and having other weapons to fall back on was no problem. The best solution is to order in the off season when diving is out. Because instant gratification is the order of the day now most buyers of anything want their purchase winging in via air transport. Spearoes are generally a patient lot, you need to be while methodically searching with murderous intentions for suitable victims amongst the structures of a large reef, especially in deeper water.

Merry Christmas to all, Christmas Day here in Oz,

That shipping of 70 US dollars is pretty reasonable. An individual buying a gun here from the States is going to pay at least that and most likely much more for a one-piece gun. How distributors here can offer guns at reasonable prices is bulk shipments which may even be surface shipped which costs a lot less. Some of my longest guns, which are around five and a half feet long, came here by ship which took 3 months, and having other weapons to fall back on was no problem. The best solution is to order in the off season when diving is out. Because instant gratification is the order of the day now most buyers of anything want their purchase winging in via air transport. Spearoes are generally a patient lot, you need to be while methodically searching with murderous intentions for suitable victims amongst the structures of a large reef, especially in deeper water.

Merry Christmas to all, Christmas Day here in Oz,
Haha well said! - Merry Christmas y'all - dive safe :cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT