• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

traveling with spearogear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sjurba

Feb 9, 2010
I was wondering if there ever is any trouble bringing knives and spearguns through customs?have heard some "urban myths" and was wondering if anybody have actually exsperienced troubble...

ah,anybody gone through london gatvick or gardermoen norway?

It is legal to spear and to have spearing gear in the UK.
As long as everything is in your check-in luggage, there should not be a problem.
However, security is sensitive to word "gun" nowadays. So, it is better to use "fishing gear" terminology in any conversations, just to avoid uneccessary misunderstandings.

ah,anybody gone through london gatvick or gardermoen norway?

I have only flown domestic in Norway with spearogear. Never had a problem out of Gardermoen, but some of the small airports where the staff have less to do and go through your stuff more carefully are another matter. In Norway, spearguns are classified as weapons (firearms?). Therefore ammunition and weapon should be transported separately, i.e.: speargun and spearshaft in different bags. Most of the time this won't be a problem, but if they for some reason have some time on their hands they may force you to send them separately. It may also work to take the bands of the speargun and ship them in a different bag, I'll try this the next time.
From now on I'll always have the shaft in a separate tube, that way I can just take it out and ship it separately if necessary...

Cheers! Its not me travelling, its my wife bringing gear back to norway from uk,things might get complicated if she gets troubble with customs...

All went well, got the gun,looks great,now all we need now is for the ice to melt...​

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…