• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tried a rock tip today on my polespear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ocean_314

Oct 4, 2006
Well i tired a rocktip on my polespear today. I had a hell of a time hitting the blue rockfish with it. These fish where all about 15" and where swimming at about 20' of water where the bottom was 35' deep. Man i just missed so many times. And when i did connect i blew a huge hole in the fish. A couple of times the fish went up the shaft of my polespear. lol (I sharpened the tip)
Getting very fustrated i spotted a lingcod about 15lbs and being a much eaiser target i nailed him with that rocktip. It went through the fish and the wings opened up on the tip and the fish couldnt come off.
So i am going to make a pouch and tie it around my waist and keep a couple of different size rocktips in it. When i come accross a big lingcod i am going to unscrew my 3 prong and then screw on a rocktip. If this works i will leave my speargun at home.

What exactly is a "rock tip"? I just bought a polespear with a three prong tip but I was wondering what a rock tip is and where to buy one? Also what length polespear do you have and what size band? Thanks.

Last edited:
I am using a 6' polespear. If your three prong doesnt have barbs on it get one with barbs or you will loose a lot of fish. The rocktip is jsut like a speargun tip. You can get one that has a cable attached and which sperates from the bottom half of the tip to make it easier to fight big fish. For small fish up to abuot 5 lbs or so the 3 prong works the best in my limited experence with the rock tip.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…