• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

trip 10-15

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

StretchArmStron

Jan 19, 2004
scouted some new territory and was impressed, very virgin w/ alot of fish life...bad viz though, very good chance of cleaning up though.

report by my dive buddy kevin (on another forum...check it out all east coast usa divers... www.scfreedive.net )

Heck i think that is what it was called? Well the trip certainly didn't have a pleasant beginning. The cold rain sucked but my extremely expensive rainsuit kept me pretty warm!!

We got to the landing in good order and Johns friend Rob met up with us and served as the local tribesman, guiding us on our safari for more inshore spearfishing!

After some rod fishing ( I know shame on us) I jumped in for a look see. Mostly to try and alligator up on a Egret snoozing by the bank. Oh ya John caught a nice flounder with a fish head for bait.

The viz turned out to be pretty huntable by our standards and we picked up anchor and moved to a more suitable bottom of oyster beds. After being in the water for less then five minutes i had shot two sheepshead and John was on his way over...float and all. After helping me stringer the fish we didn't have his face in the water for 15 seconds and he jerks up a giant of a sheeps. This thing was "mongoloid" to say the least. If i new how to post a pic on here i would. I will send it to john in an email...maybe he has the skills?

WE later went on to hunt a "jetti" and each got another sheepshead. They were there, and we could have hunted lots of different structures for more fish. A return trip is penciled in when the water and time permit.

The Jedi Divers are at it again, in merky water near YOU!!

Nice fish John! Has it gotten cold up there already?I went out thursday and the water was crappy with 1to 2 foot viz. I don't
understand it ,I looked at the surfcam on the beach the day before and the water was bluish green and I figered it would be clear at the spot I go .Usually it's clearer at the spearing spot than on the beach but this time I struck out.Today the water at the beach was cleaner so maybe it's getting better.

not cold yet...but I am having to wear a vest over my suit now...

hopefully it'll keep cleaning up.
whats the water temp. down there?

Water temp here is about 79 degrees.Still warm enough to not wear a suit.Winds will be out of the southeast this week so maybe it will bring some clear water from down south.

bigger than those rock fish you're shooting at...lol.

the vest is the one me and you traded...works like a charm bro.

aj, hopefuly we'll get some clean water for a change...we're runnin back to murrels on friday...

"sheepzilla"...I like the ring of that.

rig, do you frequent midnight lump? If so send me a pm I have some questions to ask ya bro.

we stomp around there frequently during the winter...sharks and weather permitting:D

Those big sheepies have fillets identicle to red snapper. In fact I have a buddy with a world wide wholesale operation and when they are out of RS they ship sheephead....

John! How far a drive is it from murrels to Jacksonville?Maybe I can
drive up there thursday night or early friday morning.Roadtrip!!!

come to chucktown and spend the night here. 4 hours from jax.

1:15 to murrels from the house...I got gas/boat/housing covered for you if you make the run...hopefully the conditions will be good...

shoot me an email and get my #.

what's the "we" stuff eh? You havn't put a sheep in the box since before the R.I open! lol.

vest fits wonderful...very much appreciated.

Of course they are now extinct at frogger, the coal shoot, the barge, and shipyard creek...and I notice your not at Remley's... Damn your secret spots. I think you were holding out.

actually I shot one today at the coal shute.

frogger hasn't been visible since...

attempted a drop at remleys and it was like being thrown into a barrel of oil..pitch black.

the barge was holding a good ammount of flounder today...odd thing was I only saw them on the drop down...and they were NOT sticking around....I was scaring 2 to 4 out at a time...I'm guessing they were just moving in w/ the tide and trying to get settled...we'll get some gigging tonight though.

kevin shot the last one at shipyard creek I think...he found some deep pilings...we've got some new spots now though...found 3 new areas that hold a decent ammount of fish.

;)

heck we've got enough spots now to throw a small inshore tourny!

Sighn me up!!! I sent you an email John! I can leave early thursday so let me know if you will be around then.

Albert.

albert...I've got nothing to do until 4:30pm thursday...got class from 4:30-usually 5:30...

got your email and replied...

will shoot you another one soon, running to work right now for a few hours.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT