• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trip Report - freediving with Mambrasar guesthouse, Raja Ampat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

clown

Jul 26, 2013
A while ago My partner and I were looking for a review for Mambrasar guesthouse, a locally run bungalows in the seaside of Raja Ampat. We couldn't find any but decided to booked and go anyway. I promised Stay to write a review so here it is.

Mambrasar guesthouse is a very well run family business. They are organized, punctual, professional and discrete at the same time from the time we arrive. There are very few family business like that out there especially in Raja Ampat.

As soon as we arrived at the airport, we get picked up by a friendly and polite driver. While we waited for the ferry departure time, he offered to take us for a short tour around town (there is nothing in Sorong) and to the local supermarket to buy some snacks and soft drinks.

As we arrived at Waisai port, Herman welcoming us and soon we board a speedboat for another ride to the guesthouse. The ride was a little bit uncomfortable because of the strong wind but that’s minor. We arrived 20 minutes later to a deserted beach of Kri. We were greeted by the sounds of the birds in the jungle and crystal clear shallow water full of corals and lots of fish. The bungalow is clean, simple and well ventilated. The shared bathroom is also clean, simple and proper.

The food is great. We never thought we would enjoy fish so much during our one week stay. The fish is fresh and delicious. I especially love their simple lightly seasoned fish barbecue. The fish soup mostly served at night has that sweetness taste you can only get from fresh daily catch fish.

I’m no expert in marine life but I think reefs in all Raja Ampat are perhaps the most diverse in the world. If you love freediving and snorkeling, would like to take a break and get away from your daily routine. You will not regret to travel this far. The house reef at Mambrasar guesthouse has some really impressive marine life. The one week boat trip has been amazing experience. Good crews, good food, and beautiful weather to enjoy all day long. We had 2 rainy days even that was amazing being in the middle of nowhere and nothing to worry.

In conclusion, Mambrasar guesthouse does not try to be luxurious in a traditional way or imitate anyone. They chose being original and work really hard. Herman and the team simply run this place with dedication and big heart.

At the end of our last night, Herman the owner, asked us to write a critic about our experience and put it in the box. Its shows that he and his team really care about their guests. My partner and I are so impressed, we never thought there is a simple well-run guesthouse in Raja Ampat run by a native who are environmentally conscious, and does not try to rip you off.

I can't wait to go back, sit and relax on its deserted beach watching sunset, everyday.

There has been error at the time of my writing. I didn't mean that the rest of the accommodation run by natives are trying to rip you off or have negative impact on environments. I was comparing it to somewhere else based of my previous experience in other places.

Raja Ampat people has been one of the nicests and have not been contaminated by the negative effect of tourism. I apologize in advance the error contained in the last sentence in the last paragrah.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT