• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trip Report - Khor Fakkan, Sharjah, UAE

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
I have just come back from a short trip to Khor Fakkan, which is just one hour and a half's drive from Dubai.

Khor Fakkan is across the United Arab Emirates to the Indian Ocean side, you can see the port of Fujairah from the shore but that does not take away the peace and tranquility offered by this dramatic shoreline.

A range of mountains are draped across the blue oceanline, with jagged beaches, some with golden sand and others with jagged larva rock, the shimmering glow of the Middle Eastern sun almost smiles off the water reflection and underneath the water surface lay a few surprises.

I dived the Inchcape I for the first time today. It lies in 30m of water and the top of the wreck is at 25m, so time is limited and Nitrox would be recommended to use for increased bottom time on this wreck. There is a buoy line down to the wreck for easy descent and ascent, and the wreck is standing on its hull. It is smothered I soft corals, sea pens, featherstars and sponges and the colours are mostly pinks and yellows. You need to take your dive light to appreciate the beauty! It is teaming with lionfish, and two rather fantastic honeycomb moray eels named Fred and Wilma, which are not shy and allow to you photograph them quite closely. I did not see it today, but apparently there is a stingray measuring nearly 3 metres lying under the wreck. There are huge shoals of fusiliers, yellow snapper and glass fish, followed by jacks and trevally stalking the groups out for a meal.

The Inchcape I is only a 25min boat ride from Diver’s Down dive centre, which is attached to the Oceanic Hotel. Divers Down has a relaxed atmosphere, rather like that of a club. There are divers of all nationalities, the staff are very easy going and the facility is large, allowing space for everyone to hang out, chat, eat, sort out there gear, there is ample drying space and also a classroom for instructors who would like to come down and bring their students. You don’t get charged for using the classroom, only for the boat dives. Diver’s Down have 3 boats that take about 8 divers, from what I could see.

The Oceanic Hotel is not bad, and being in Sharjah it does not serve alcohol. However, Fujairah is 15mins down the road and you can partake in many a bevy if you wish. There is also a Youth hostel you can use which is great jus to shower and get your head down for the night. Divers Down will also be offering accommodation in their villa for divers only as of 27th November.

I would recommend Divers Down to divers wanting to visit the East coast of the UAE, as they have a good safety record and facilities, and their pricing is affordable making it easier for divers like myself who want to dive regularly to get on boats more often.

http://www.diversdown.ae/contact/contact.html
http://www.diversdown.ae/accommodation/accommodation.html

here are a few pictures...

Attachments

• Inchcapemoray.gif
    Inchcapemoray.gif
    292.1 KB · Views: 142
  • diversdown.JPG
    diversdown.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 139
  • snappers.JPG
    snappers.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 140
  • beachatdiversdown.JPG
    beachatdiversdown.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 177
i was just looking at the beach in ur picture and i have a IMPORTANT question for you ....... IS THERE SURF THERE ?? :D :D

not that day... east coast is pretty calm right now, but dubai (west coast) people have been surfing :D

island_sands said:
not that day... east coast is pretty calm right now, but dubai (west coast) people have been surfing :D

thaaaaats just not fair :head we are right beside u guys and we dont get any surf :'(

do yall get year round swells or just on rare occasions ??

we get swells quite often, not anything like South Africa or Australia, but good enough for practising and keeping up your skills :) especially at this time of year when its windy!

Whats the air temp in Qatar at the moment?

island_sands said:
we get swells quite often, not anything like South Africa or Australia, but good enough for practising and keeping up your skills :) especially at this time of year when its windy!

Whats the air temp in Qatar at the moment?

any surf shops ?? :D

its about 23-25 ...... looks like 5mm time the water actually is still warm but the wind is COLD

There are loads of surf shops! The Mall of the Emirates has an Oakley shop and also some Billabong, Roxy, and general surf gear shops. So does Ibn Battuta Mall.

Eish, 25 max during the day? That is cold. It was 24deg this morning and by lunchtime a comfortable 33deg :)

Very nice photos...... great work Sarah.
I love the gulf when it look like that..... I thought its the Red Sea.:inlove

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT