• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trip Report "South Africa - Protea Banks"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
Just came back from South Africa:
One week of great diving with Tigersharks, Sandtigers, Bullsharks, Blacktipsharks, Guitarshark, Hammerheads and Blue Marlins. Also saw some humpback whales and dolphin from boat.
Best dive was a baited shark dive in Aliwal Shoals with 50 Blacktips and 5 Tigers!
Unfortunately the visibility was not perfect due to heavy winds and waves.
"Power diving" in massive current: 4 km in 35 min :)
Also very nice country above surface, one week is much to short.
Photos will follow later.
Cheers,
Manuel

Just came back from South Africa:
One week of great diving with Tigersharks, Sandtigers, Bullsharks, Blacktipsharks, Guitarshark, Hammerheads and Blue Marlins. Also saw some humpback whales and dolphin from boat.
Best dive was a baited shark dive in Aliwal Shoals with 50 Blacktips and 5 Tigers!
Unfortunately the visibility was not perfect due to heavy winds and waves.
"Power diving" in massive current: 4 km in 35 min :)
Also very nice country above surface, one week is much to short.
Photos will follow later.
Cheers,
Manuel

Nice!!!!!! We have plans to do that next year, did you see the sardine run? Photo Photo Photo...!!! Please send, cant wait to see them.

@ Sarah:
We didn't travel the South Africa especially for the Sardine Run, but it was in our mind as the non-plus-ultra. On our arrival day I heard about activities 800 km more south. On our last day they were only 100 km away. So one week too late...
Unfortunately it's unpredictable to say when it happens exactly between May and July.
But the Sardine Run is definitly one of the things to see in my diving-life!

MANUEL

Me too! Cant wait for next year.. not that i really want to wish my life and age away so soon rofl

Looking forward to your trip report, why dont you send it to me, and I'll post it on the front page of Deeperblue?

As promised, some photos...

MANUEL

Attachments

• Blacktips (Aliwal Shoals).JPG
    Blacktips (Aliwal Shoals).JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Bullenhai (Protea Banks).JPG
    Bullenhai (Protea Banks).JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Raggie (Protea Banks) 2.JPG
    Raggie (Protea Banks) 2.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Tigerhai (Aliwal Shoals) 1.JPG
    Tigerhai (Aliwal Shoals) 1.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 186
  • Tigerhai (Aliwal Shoals) 2.JPG
    Tigerhai (Aliwal Shoals) 2.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 194
And again...

MANUEL

Attachments

• 3 Tigerhaie (Aliwal Shoals).JPG
    3 Tigerhaie (Aliwal Shoals).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Schlauchboot.JPG
    Schlauchboot.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Strand Shelly Beach.JPG
    Strand Shelly Beach.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 196
  • African Dive Adventures.JPG
    African Dive Adventures.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 215
Small correction: That are (oceanic - not reef) blacktip sharks, not bronze whalers. The last ones are only seen frequently during the sardine run. But in fact they look very similar.:)

MANUEL

Reactions: fcallagy
Small correction: That are (oceanic - not reef) blacktip sharks, not bronze whalers. The last ones are only seen frequently during the sardine run. But in fact they look very similar.:)

MANUEL

i did wonder :eek: Admittedly, i have never dived the east coast, only in Cape Town. i lived close to Aliwal Shoal for five years and only ever boogie boarded that area. MUST make an effort to go back and do that dive... thanks for posting Manuel.

WOW! Cool Manuel! I only saw your thread now! I am doing the same this coming December! Hope to see some sharks! I already did the Protea Banks dive last year December, but I was not lucky enough to see ANY sharks!
Have been diving here in Cape Town - but no luck in seeing any sharks in nature, yet!

Your diving with the wrong crowd mate rofl
Try Cape Point side or by Franskraal area for possibility of shark spottings this time of the year. The GWS come in close to the shore, take your gun but dont shoot anything, theyre normally quite docile but the blood makes em wild. Or so Ive read :martial

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT