• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trip to Auckland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bucher Barnes

May 28, 2008
Hi everyone, I’m off to Auckland in a month or so, anyone know if there will be a problem with taking a spear gun? Ive been before and had my fishing gear inspected for biosecurity. I’m still a beginner that started going out around Bournemouth bay this summer, I have two beauchat guns, a 115 and a 75. I was thinking of trying to head to the bay of islands north of Auckland, anyone got any hints tips or advice?

Cheers,
Sam

I am only just getting back into the sport and have just realised how unfit I am so im now trying to get my fitness up and give up smoking. I live at the top of the South Island in Blenheim and I do a fair bit of shore diving around Kaikoura (East Coast), it is a beautiful spot and has plenty of Crays, Paua and Butterfish (Greenbone). I have only got a sling at the moment so I am limited to the smaller fish, Im saving up so I can get a gun and go after some of the Kingfish that are around here.

I'm very jealous! Kaikoura was my fravourite spot from my last trip. There was a couple of really nice right hand point breaks and I jumped on a fishing charter and caught an octopus?!

I contacted Ocean hunter and it turns out its fine to bring spearguns into the country. Yay! I'll have to buy some kit when I get there though.

I'm having a look at the fish you mention- ocean hunter seems to be a really good source of info- Kingfish? think I'd be a bit too scared to shoot one of them!

Compared to some of the other fish people go for over here they're baby's, a lot of the pro's go for marlin, now that would be a good fight. Anyway happy fishing and I hope you enjoy our beatuiful country.

ive travelled back and forth from canada to new zealand many times,the trick is to take your gun completely apart store it seperatly in a pvc pipe marked fishing gear throw a rod in there no questions asked.There are some really nice spots around your area try to get a charter to three kings its amazing stuff up there.

cheers

Fishing equipment or spearfishing equipment. Don't use the word gun! If they do ask or inspect, be sure to tell them it's used only in salt water, not fresh. Also, give it a good clean & dry before coming to be sure.

One more thing: Leave the 75cm at home if you're going to the BOI. Just a waste of space, I'm afraid. 115 is more of a minimum requirement in summer up north.

you should be fine with the 115 i hunt the bay with a 90cm and its more than capable to take down kings loaded with double 17's

I agree. The 75cm gun will be like shooting a Bull with a BB Gun.

The two size guns we use over here are 90 or 100cm when the vis is average, (Not really a problem up North) and 120cm to chase Kingfish etc.

Some guys I dive with have 130cm guns also but they rarely use them, and tend to use their 120cm guns more often.

I personally haven't done much diving round the bay of islands. The couple of times I've been out there the vis was awesome tho.

Hope you have a great trip.

Hi there Sam,

Chrismar is right on the money, bring the 115, give it a good clean and dry and call it fishing equipment. Shouldn't be a problem. Vis is pretty good at present, lots of scollies around too.

Might be worthwhile getting in touch with the club (see link below) to get some tips on where's good and maybe find a buddy.

Phil

Auckland Freediving club
http://www.aucklandfreediving.co.nz

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT