• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trip to Norway

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mortenkv

Jan 14, 2008
We were gone to Norway to catch big fish.

1. Hallibut (all above 5kg), 2. Big Coal fish ( Above 10kg), 3. Big Cods (Above 10kg)
- and less important: Haddock, Wolffish, Anglerfish and Pollack

Water was cold ( 5-7 degrees), current strong and visibilty tricky. But we knew that if we endured, then some of us would get big fish.

After some days without any big fish we tried a new spot. But we have to time the tide so we wouldnt get swept away. So we were drifting (diving form boat) 5 spearos on the same 800m long and 250m wide strait of 7-20m water. Continuosly diving taking turns picking divers up and sailing them back. we saw lots of small coalfish, small cods and some wolfies... and after a few hours we lost the faith. But determined on diving until the tide changed we took another hour diving, drifting, beeing picked up and sailed back, diving, drifting and so on...

When the current stopped, the vis got worse, and my friend surfaced shouting "Halibuuuut" we all gathered in that area diving like crazy. After 10mins I started hunting for haddock instead - but then suddenly a good Hallibut left the bottom and before I knew of it my spear was in its neck and it took off while i Surfaced and Shouted "Halibiuuuut"... the boatman got my buoy (with gun and spear attached to it) and I swam down and embraced the mighty fish, surfarced and shouting vitoriusly: "Halibuuuuut". There it was. Not the biggest of the trip - but my biggest (and the only one) so far.

Hallibut, northern Norway, june 2008 11.5kg
IMG_2306.JPG

Hallibut

Morten Villadsen

Last edited:
Fantastic Morten. Did you catch any other big fish, not that you needed to after catching a halibut? Were any of the other divers DB members? Can I put your halibut in the Hall of Fame? Sorry about all the questions but this is exciting news. Keep the stories coming old or new.

Dave

Wow nice. It is the British spearos dream to catch one of those fish.

Please post more storys and pics....LOVE IT

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT