• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trophy Fish or Sustainable Hunt?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

While I did shoot huge groupers (AKA jewfish/Goliath Grouper) as a teenager in Florida, I wouldn't do it now. But then I wouldn't shoot a marlin or sailfish either. They aren't very good to eat, and I used to release a lot of marlin during my rod and reel years. It would seem inconsistent to kill one now. I've passed up two easy shots on marlin.

But then I'll confess that this is an emotional decision. A marlin has no more right to live than a flounder, but then I think this entire discussion is more about emotion than science or logic.

You are right Bill, I think that Den shows that as spearos we can at least be selective and make decisions when hunting; does the fact that Den didn't shoot that fish make any difference to the problem facing fish stocks? No. It does show that spearos aren't all a bloodthirsty mob hell-bent on wiping out fish.

Reactions: spaghetti
Hmm, methinks we been here before, but, so what.

Spagetti is right about nothing being wrong with spearing a sustainable amount of fish. The problem comes when divers think its always sustainable, that insignificant little "us" couldn't possibly hurt the resource. Well, that's true enough when you are talking about marlin, dolphin, probably white sea bass, and lots of others, but its a damn lie for some species in some areas. For example, hogfish in the Bahamas, Keys and Florida east coast, or black, yellowfin or nassau grouper in the same areas. Not that other folks didn't do their share, and often more (think fish traps), but spearos can be a real problem, given the right conditions.

Keep your catch down; we will all be better off.

Connor

Keep your catch down; we will all be better off.

I certainly agree with that. I shoot very few fish, and its not only because I suck. But I thought the point of the thread was whether I should shoot a big one or a small one.

Ok, ok, I'll climb down from my soap box. Sorry, I just can't help it.

Shoot a small one, they eat better.

Connor

I must agree Connor, regarding groupers (and maybe brown meagre too) for the Mediterranean area: they used to be relatively easy targets* and highly rewarding catch. A deadly mix for them, especially in older times when spearfishers (and nobody else) had not yet any culture about what we call "sustainability" today.
In facts italian and french regulations have become very strict about spearing groupers: in France it's illegal, in Italy it's no valid catch in competitions, and limited to one per day for recreational spearfishing.
But again groupers are a very particular case due to their specific nature.

*used to be easy targets: the natural response from groupers was to move way deeper, so deep to become a serious challenge even for the more skilled breath hold sperfisher.
In the Upper Med you'd be hard pressed to find any single adult grouper before 20 meters of depth, to the point of generating the proverb: "groupers kill spearos, not boats", for the dozens of guys who lost their lives while trying to retrieve a shot grouper from a 20 or 30 meters deep hole.
But this is way off topic...

Last edited:
In starting this thread I was partly interested in the general emotional response we have to what we do, as I suprised myself in not taking a (relatively) large fish and just wondered what went through the minds of others. I'm not making a judgement or feeling I'm on the higher ground, just curious. The remark about a big pot for a big fish was tounge in cheek ('one for the pot' being a common expression)but I haven't got to grips with the smiley faces thing so it may have come across a bit straight. I usually fillet my fish too.
Yes, I was also asking the question (acknowledging it's academic nature in the face of other pressures on fish stocks) whether specifically taking two 4 pound fish is likely to have a larger impact than one at 8 pounds. I can see it either way as the larger fish is clearly sucessful and inclined to pass on strong genes but is only one breeding individual, so you could argue that hunting only a small number of larger fish leaves a more numerous breeding population than taking twice as many fish at half the size. Thus making the policy of leaving the big ones alone counterproductive. I'm talking about UK Sea Bass and Grey Mullet mainly here as these are the main quarry of most UK spearos, leaving aside Pollock which, as Sunfish has mentioned are a slightly different case. 'Big' is relative and I'm sure different issues arise with different species in other parts of the world.

I agree this is an emotional issue. That's why I only kill fish I hate.

I hate bullies - so naturally I kill predators. And I hate cute shit. Cute things are so superficial - they think they are safe because of how they look. I hate them. The thought of eating them makes me sick - but I do it anyway; for revenge.

I try to kill the stuff I hate with my bare hands and teeth. It's harder to catch them that way, but it's worth it. So far I haven't actually caught anything - but I will, and when I do they better watch out!

I really wanna punch a big grouper. Or maybe kick a sea bass in the groin. Do sea bass have groins per se?

Reactions: devondave
haha, Fondi you loon.
I don't think see bass have groins, but you should be able to find at least 8 of them on an octopus (checks maths with fingers) to aid your revenge

Yeah.. octopusses..shifty, colorchanging, suction-cup havin' ... thats it; I'm going to the bahamas to find me an octopus and kick it right in the groin(s)

Monofin groin kicking: now we're talking SPORTS! The secret is in the hips, right?

LOL - funny you should mention it. Last week some guy at the pool claimed I kicked him the groin with my monofin. Then some woman called the pool to complain that I'd kicked this guy in the groin with my monofin.

I'm thinking about going no fins for awhile. Then I could really kick people in the groin AND blame them for it!

Fondue, you are in luck. The Bahamas are now full of lion fish, Just ask unirdna. Terminally cute, you would hate'em. Kill'em all and earn the never ending gratitude of marine biologists.

Connor

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…