• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

tuna gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

scrounger

May 1, 2003
Looking for some input on a gun to shoot smaller tuna, i have been thinking of one of the wongs:inlove . anyother options i might want to look at?

I'm not an expert of tuna at all, but what they say is that every gun longer than 110centimeters can be "enough gun" too shoot it, provided it's properly rigged to hold it.
We don't have a big tradition of spearing tuna in my country, but I talked to an old tuna spearo who hunts them here in the Mediterranean, and you won't believe what gun he uses....guess what? A cheap old Cressi Apache 110 with 20mm twin rubbers and 6,5 shaft. But it's rigged with a very strong system of float barrels.
Ok, now ask the real experts which I'm not.

Hiya

Scrounger, WONG guns are rated as one of the BEST in the speargun market. Speak to Daryl about your requirements and he'd be able to better assist you in the required gun length for your area and type of hunting.

Generally though, you'd use a 8mm spear with a slip-tip and 2-3 x 16mm bands. Two bands should be sufficient for smaller class tuna, but rather opt for the power and range of three bands.

Hope that helps!!

Regards
miles

that is not as much power as i figured a tuna gun would want even for smaller fish. thank you much.

Hiya

Yellowfin tuna has fairly soft meat, which is easy to penetrate. The reason for the more powerful gun, is quite simple, the fish often don't come in close to the diver. This requires longer shots and since tuna are quite a THICK bodied fish, your spear will need to travel a long distance and still have sufficient power to punch through at LEAST a foot of tuna meat and maybe bone, depending on the shot.

I've shot a 50kg YF with a single 16mm band and a 6.5mm spear and the spear went all the way through the fish, BUT, this was when the fish were coming VERY close to me. Less powerful guns will work, but if you're targetting 30lb's+ fish, rather go for the more powerful gun.

Regards
miles

Check out poseidonsub.com and look at those sweet guns! Close to a Wong and cheaper. You can custom design your gun with any parts you want such as a Wong trigger and mori shafts. Got to say though Wong is really about customer service and is quick to help with anything, can't go wrong with him. My buddy got a poseidonsub gun and he was stoked about it, send a private message to kale and ask him about his experience. Might save you a few bucks.

I realize that many people in other countries us Euro guns for everything up to great white sharks, but a very popular gun for tuna is the Wong Ono gun. It is 63" long and can use four 5/8" bands and a 5/16" shaft. Daryl does (or at least used to) make an even larger tuna gun with 3/8" shaft, but he himself uses the Ono gun.

Another Wong alternative is the Super Magnum Hybrid. I have no experience with this sort of diving, but apparently some of his customers diving off Costa Rica wanted something that would swing easier that the Ono. They jump in in front of a school of dolphin traveling with tuna, and then the tuna come by at high speed. So they asked Daryl to make a 63" version of his Magnum hybrids, which had previously topped out at a 60" version. This gun also uses a 5/16" shaft and four bands. I guess it kicks a bit more than the Ono gun since it has less mass, but then the tradeoff is the faster swinging. Sheri Daye has used this gun to take all of her tuna including her woman's world record yellowfin.

I really don't have any excuse to own a tuna gun since I can't afford to travel where it would be needed as long as I keep pouring money into my own boat locally, but I have three of the smaller hybrids and I'm so fond of the design that I'd probably go for the Super Magnum.

Just in case you are not familiar with the hybrids, here is what they look like. Also, in the second photo, the second gun from the right is an older version of the Ono gun but its just 60" long because it lacks the Alexander aluminum muzzle that now comes on the gun. However, the wood is exactly the same, so you can get an idea what it would be like.

Attachments

• 3hybrids.JPG
    3hybrids.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 386
  • 6Wongs.JPG
    6Wongs.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 358
Bill i am looking at ono lenght guns as the tuna hunting here is not in the cleanest water. they come very close durring the summer and are only in 20 30 fathoms. we do ge tthe bluefin in very close some years, but they can not be taken while diving so it doesnt matter.

Another option are the Andre Spearguns. We offer spearguns to suit a wide range of spearfishing needs...influenced by the designs of Wong/Alexander/Riffe, but offered at lower prices. Here is a photo of our Gold 160 (63") Speargun. If this interest you, then check out some of our other options at:
Spearguns - Andre Teak Spearguns
If there is something that you would like to change about the speargun, then just let us know, we are open to custom orders too.

[
Gold160Speargun.jpg

Feel free to email us at:

sales@bluetunaspearfishing.com

Best Regards,
Matt

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but, SeaSniper spearguns must be a consideration. No other gun is like them and they are easy to maneuver with low to no kick. I have a 65" with four 5/8 bands. It shoots an 11/32 shaft with NO kick and laser accurate. Check them out
Sea Sniper

I know this is an old thread but, SeaSniper spearguns must be a consideration. No other gun is like them and they are easy to maneuver with low to no kick. I have a 65" with four 5/8 bands. It shoots an 11/32 shaft with NO kick and laser accurate. Check them out
Sea Sniper

I have a couple of friends that have dealt with Daryl and just rave about his guns and absolutely awesome customer service.

I'll also have to agree that the Sea Snipers are worth looking at they do some really awesome designs and a lot of thought and creativity goes into those designs.

There are a few others that are at least worth a look. It's really kind of mind blowing to see everything that's out there. I went through this recently while trying to put together a list of gun builders for a website I have been working on. Check out the list at www.SpearTrips.com, then go the "Misc Info" then to "Speargun Links". It's a pretty complete list of custom gun builders.

- Robbert
Robbert@SpearTrips.com

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT