• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tuna Gun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fadomas

Feb 3, 2008
Hallo everybody.im from greece and im a new member on this forum.I want you to tell me your ideas about this tuna gun.Which speargun is the best on his category???IM waiting your suggestions!!!

The Wong Ono has to be a contender. I'm assuming that you want to disregard european types as you have posted this in the American gun forum

The Wong Ono has to be a contender. I'm assuming that you want to disregard european types as you have posted this in the American gun forum

About,the hamilton speargun,what is your opinion?

fadomas,
what size tuna are you after? i think bluetec in greece have a good gun called "oceanborn" could be a good option...the guys in south africa take up to 75KG tuna with a 130cm rabitech, 2x16mm bands and 8 mm spear...
the wooden options could also be good, wong, alexander...i have seen the hamilton on the website, looks very nice but i dont know any reviews about it...the wong on the other hand is testd and proven for wooden guns..another option is tommy botha spearguns..
if youre targetting tuna less than 50 kgs look at the wong magnum hybrid, or the rabitechs rob allen or the oceanborn by bluetec

fadomas,
what size tuna are you after? i think bluetec in greece have a good gun called "oceanborn" could be a good option...the guys in south africa take up to 75KG tuna with a 130cm rabitech, 2x16mm bands and 8 mm spear...
the wooden options could also be good, wong, alexander...i have seen the hamilton on the website, looks very nice but i dont know any reviews about it...the wong on the other hand is testd and proven for wooden guns..another option is tommy botha spearguns..
if youre targetting tuna less than 50 kgs look at the wong magnum hybrid, or the rabitechs rob allen or the oceanborn by bluetec

I want about,150-160 cm.I know,the bleu tec guns,and olso he is my friend.I take from him one acid carbon 110 cm,and one raptor carbon 116 cm.The bleu tec,has olso a tuna gun,called symboll,and it is full carbon.The size of this gun is 140-160 cm.But i want to tell me,what is the most suitable.The wood or the carbon?

Hiya

Fadomas, when you're hunting tuna, you'll be needing a gun capable of using at least 4x16mm bands. The heavier the gun, the more recoil it will absorb. Purely from that perspective, i prefer wooden guns.

Carbon guns greatest advantage is that they are light. This is exactly NOT what you want in a big multiple band gun. (Carbon guns do how-ever look very pretty!!:inlove)

Regards
miles

Yes you have right,about the wooden guns but,the tuna gun SYMBOLL of bleu tec
has 6-8 ruber,and it weight 8-9 killos.

Fadomas, by statistics, i would think that most tuna guns are wood, im not saying that carbon is bad, im just saying most guys use wood...but then im back to the main question, what size are you after...Tuna could be anywhere from 10-100+ KGs depending on the size you expect to encounter regularly, you will be able to make a better choice of guns..
if you want a gun that will take down that once in a liftime shot, then go for mutliple band wooden guns, as miles said, the main advantage is standing up to recoil, the bluetec could be good too, but im sure its not as tried and proven for tuna as the others, like wongs, tommy botha, alexander etc...
but then again if you dont expect that kind of fish often, you will find that you might use this very expensive gun only once in your life :) its quite tough, i know

Marwan i have two guns,for the tuna.One 140 cm, and another one 150 carbon mimetic of rob allen.I am very satisfied.I want bigger gun because,i saw many times,
very big tuna 100 kg+,here in my country.With this gun i am afraid,to shoot to this
monster.

Hiya

If you're targetting large tuna, 100kg+, then your biggest obstacle is actaully having a adequate float line.

I've taken tuna in the 50-100kg class with 120 - 150cm railguns as well as wooden guns from 57" to 67". Pretty sure any of the blue water guns mentioned in this thread will work well enough.

Your floatline system will need to be strong enough for that class of fish!!
Look at this:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/diy-homemade/51470-boogie-boards-yf-tuna-south-african.html

wow, many times, over 100 KG, i can practically hear miles rigging his gear and booking the next flight to your area...:):):)
time to get that 100+ target buddy...

Did you look at the other tuna gun thread here? A powerful, accurate gun is important but a float system is that can hold a 100KG+ fish will be mandatory. My gun recommendation is Sea Sniper, they are top quality tuna guns.

Fadomas,

There are many different theories for which gun is the "best" and a lot of it depends on what you personally believe. Take some time to study what is available and listen to everybody's theories and then see what you personally believe.

We have seen a lot of very BIG fish taken with many very different types of Spearguns. I think this just means that at the end of the day it is more the diver than the gun as far as sticking a shaft into the fish.

Of course, as has been mentioned, the necessary gear to actually land the fish after you shot it is just as important.

I put together a long list of speargun builders for a website i did recently. You may want to check it out at www.SpearTrips.com then go to "Misc Info" and then to "Speargun Links". It's very informative to read all the builders ideas.

- Robbert
Robbert@SpearTrips.com

Hi Gang,

Just found this thread. Pretty much any gun can shoot tunas. Same as you can kill elephants with a .22 cal, but why?
Marwan, thanks for the nice plug. I've been hunting tunas for over many years now and have gone from a regular gun with huge wings to a huge 68in tuna gun with internal ballasting making the gun weight 18-20 lbs, to a strealined Ono gun 63 in and even to now a 63 in super magnum hybrid.

Each gun has its purpose and situations where it will work best. The super magnum was designed to be able to maximize the manuverability of the hybrid design and also for ease of hunting and travel when diving on Tunas in porpoise schools and when chumming. It set three blue water records.
The Ono gun is light, has minimal recoil and shoots 25-30 ft. Both guns shoot that far.

The Ono gun currently holds the Men's world record YFT at 353lbs shot by Julian Allen-Ellis, and the men's current black marlin record by the spanish national champion Joseba.

There are many other guns out there that shoot farther, but how far is enough. There is a point where hunting is out of the equation when you get past a certain weight and distance.

Railguns have proven to take big game, but I'm sure Miles can attest to thier limitations. He and Tommy Botha are using and producing a great tuna killer that is proven down in South Africa.

So it just comes down to picking your poison. Do you want a light gun that shoots two bands, or a bigger gun that shoots farther and with a heavier shaft.

Look to see what is out there and pick the gun you think will work best for you.

Aloha,Daryl

Last edited:
Hallo daryl.
I want a bigger gun that shoots farther and with a heavier shaft,but i dont now wish.
There are too many guns in space,and my choice is difficult.Any way,thank you about your answer.

Aloha,

Robbert the super magnum uses a 5/16 shaft. All the World records were shot using that size shaft. One thing I found shoooting tunas was that no matter what size shaft you used, 3/8 or 5/16. Unless you got a stone shot like the one in onf of the pictures, more than likely you will end up with a bent shaft. 3/8 shafts weigh 2 lbs so travelling with a big tuna gun and 3/8 shafts puts you over weight very fast. You will also need more band power to get that shaft going. You won't ever see a four band gun that shoots a 3/8 shaft to hunt tuna. It won't have the range.
Like Miles said, you also have to worry about the right gear to land the fish too. Heres a few pcitues of the floats we came with many years ago. Now because of weight we use a combination of blue water float and an hard float system.

Aloha,Daryl

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
I didn't realise how big that float of yours was! I understand more that story about Rick and the over inflation rofl

Another superb photo :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT