• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Turban Snails Recipes?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ReefTroll

Expert Space Drummer
Apr 9, 2008
Hi all, I am able to get some large sea snails from our coast (Minimum legal length is 7.5cm's, so a decent sized shell!) and was wondering how you would go about preparing them?
I have NO idea what I'd do with them if I brought one home.

I believe the Korean "Sora" is a turban snail. It's highly valued there and Koreans eat them raw - with the guts and all. But then it's a bit like chewing cartilage. But with a bit of prep, the snails tenderize nicely. I have had Sora bbq'ed. Basically, you just put them amongst the charcoal with the opening up and they will BBQ/boil in their own juices. (In some restaurants they use salamander ovens instead). I can't help you with how long though. Pry them open, which will be easier now that they are dead. The muscle part is the one closest to the "lid", the bottom part are the guts. Served with rice wine and chili sauce. My favorite way of eating Sora for sure.

Attachments

• sora_turban_snail.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Reactions: ReefTroll
Well that sounds quite good!! Thanks very much, I'll give it a go!

I always felt that land snails tasted like whatever you cook them in. Do sea snails have a flavor of their own or is it the same situation?

I have no idea, I will let you know when I get a few mate.
Went to go around the headland where I find them the other day but there was a rather solid shark cruising around! It was fairly murky so decided to let him have that part of the ocean to himself. I couldn't see him too well, looked like a bull.

Good idea, that. We feel much the same way around here when the Humboldt squid show up.

Here in South Central Texas we have large helix land snails. Some as big as 1.5" across. They loooook like the ones used for escargot. I have lots of recipes. Are these actually edible fare? I could pick up a bunch--keep in an old aquarium cum terrarium. Feed them up until I have enough and then--well get after it.

Anyone know if these are in fact edible or do I need to get in touch with Tx A&M? :duh

We have small native conical snails here but they're too small to be worth the trouble. The European brown snails, on the other hand, are all over the place, brought in, supposedly by Portuguese or Italian immigrants to provide a taste of home. I've never seen one big enough to consider eating it. Mostly I just step on them. I have been told, though, that you want to put them on a bed of cornmeal to clean them out before you try cook them. Leave them in the cornmeal for at least 24 hours, probably 48.

Just have a DB fishing trip to Sawtell, we can feast up on abelone, turbans and urchins!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…