• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Twin Club for SaltFree?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
Hello

I've been thinking that it would be good for SaltFree to get "twinned" with another freedive club outside the UK - in the way that lots of towns here have foreign "twins".

We'd swap stories, advice, learn from each other's experience, send each other Christmas presents and try and visit each other once a year and maybe attend each other's competitions.

For this to actually happen, I'd guess the club probably needs to be within Europe - or at least on a cheap, shortish flight from the UK. It would also be cool if we had a few similarities - like diving in cold green water all year round for example.

Would anyone like to suggest anything? (and please don't say Dahab....) The nearest one I could think of was Bodensee - also on these forums, but I'm not sure how active they are now Sanso has left.Maybe somewhere in Scandinavia?

your thoughts....

Sam

Well, our club Cyrnéa (in Lyon, France) is also land-locked, and we do dive in a quarry too, but frankly told we are more of pool rats, and often prefer driving 350 km to the Mediterranean Sea than diving in the cold quarry (which is only 17 m deep anyway). We are quite pussies and train in the quarry only in summer (when the water temperature is around 20°C). I am not quite sure if anyone in our club would be willing to endure diving in the conditions you are used to - I'll ask them though, and if there is some interest, I let you know :)

I am not quite sure if anyone in our club would be willing to endure diving in the conditions you are used to

Eh? Looks alright to me ;)

Attachments

• Tim.jpg
    Tim.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 207
  • George.jpg
    George.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Ben.jpg
    Ben.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 217
Eh? Looks alright to me ;)
Looks great indeed, but try telling to the Frenchies they are supposed to dive in 10°C water. I think most of them cannot even imagine that water is still liquid at that temperature :)

I am going to write about your proposal to the club email list anyway. Personally, I think the idea of club partnership is excellent.

PS: what airport is closest to you? Can you post Google Map link to the lake?

Hmm..... tell them there is some lovely cheese in that part of the world and that should do the trick :D

Here is the lake [ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chepstow%20wales&ie=UTF8&ll=51.658887,-2.644894&spn=0.006616,0.020084&t=h&z=16]chepstow wales - Google Maps[/ame]

Nearest airport is Bristol which is half hour away driving. Heathrow is approx 1.5 to 2 hrs away

Well, you is all welcome in sligo any day but the club thing is ongoing at present. Cold green water? yeah i think we could manage that. Would be salty rather than saltfree but would give you a good thirst for a pint afterwards. bristol to knock airport ryanair( only 45mins from me) is cheap enough if anyone ever fancies a weekend.

cool... I can fly from Newquay to pretty near you too I think

Ireland - now that's a plan

Maybe we could just open "SaltFree Sligo!" - it has a nice ring to it...

Surely they will be diving in dark black and creamy liquid in Ireland not cold clear and green? Sounds good though.

Didn't you used to go to Nice a lot Sam? I know its not a beautiful cold green quarry but gives opportunity to practice in salty water before comps in Dahab and gives a contrast rather than more of the same. Just throwing ideas. Could always twin with more than one if it works.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT