• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Two dives = 2 Dentex. Time to go home

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
Here is this evenings catch. Two dives = 2 Dentex. Needed 2 long aspettos and shot them both as they swam towards me with my pelagos 90.

Caught a much bigger Dentex yesterday along with a 2 kilo seabass. I will post those pics as soon as my buddy has send them to me.

Reactions: Cingene
Flippin heck!!
Do you buy food or just eat fish? ;)

Are those Dentex nice to eat? Ive never tried them :(

Man, some of y'all must be able to live off your guns and a vegetable garden. My opthamologist was giving me stuff about there being to much mercury in the PV wsb to eat and that he only eats the ones from Catalina. Must be nice . . .
Anyway, good hunting, brother (and Alison)!

Dentice! Bravo!

Dentex, aka dentice in Italian and Denti' in French are considered by the Mediterranean hunters as some of the weariest and shy fish to spear but they must be very easy off Gibraltar! Kidding.. . Good job Shaka zulu!! :)

Mark

nice little mishus aint they! (pardon the language ladies) :D

come on, you know better than that

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Stephen Roberts
you can look it up at www.fishbase.org
enter the common name, and it will then give you just about anything you could possibly want to know. just make sure that you look at every possible link, but you cant go wrong with www.fishbase.org

The Dentex is the hardest fish to spear in the Med. They are also one of the hardest fighting of the bream species.

Are they good to eat? They are awesome :D

Dentex have one of the most highly developed lateral lines in the fish world and can feel the shock waves of the shortening band on your gun. THey can actually swerve around your spear. Thats why if you shoot them when they are coming towards you 9 out of 10 times you hit them side on as they have time to turn.

Guess these 2 were not that lucky. ;)

After i caught the 2 i just left the area.

Re: Dentice! Bravo!

Originally posted by Mark Laboccetta
they must be very easy off Gibraltar! Kidding.. . Good job Shaka zulu!! :)

Mark
rofl

Shaka Zulu!!

Either these fish are suicidal or Shane needs to PM Pappa Smurf and have his name changed :D
Shooting them as they swim towards you! Now thats smart! :)

Reactions: Adrian
The Dentex sounds like something from "the matrix" swerving round your spear and all...... Great fish / photos as always, Deja Vu.... I feel like Ive actually visited your house the number of photos Ive seen of you in front of those stairs.

Excellent stuff,

David

HEHEHEHEHE

Thats my patio. Those steps lead up to my garden and the kitchen sink is right by the patio door. Its always a rush, pull the fish from the sink, run out the door take the pic and put them back in sink making as little mess as possible. Obviously my wife don't like fish and i have to clean the mess ;)

As usual, nice ones shane...

Hope the weather is going to change here in France as Dentex went deep down...

Chulisimo, que guai! :)

Ver nice and I agree with Alison, you need a name change! :D :D

Adrian

Hola Rolando,

Soy de gibraltar una colomia inglesa en el sur de espanña.

Both dentex were caught at 17meters.

I got to my secret dentex spot, did 2 dives, shot 2 dentex and went home

Not bad for a weekday afternoon

i have video that shows in slow motion how dentex dodge form spear:hmm They are the choosen ONE:D :cool:

Where can I d/l this "AquaMatrix" vid?
Or do you mean actual video, on cassette and such, like they used in the stone age... :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT