• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UK caught Fish ID please

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ben

Apr 26, 2005
DSCN1069.JPG

Hi guys, interested if someone can help me ID this fish?
It was caught in a beach set net of newport South Wales, in the brown Bristol Channel. Weights about 5kg and about 60cm long.... The fisherman not knowing what it was put it in our fridge so that we could get someone to ID it. That hasnt happened yet but i thought you lot would like to see what is potentially out there for us spearos....

IDs greatfully received.....

ben

Last edited:
havent a clue! used to live near clevedon and the bristol channel, great cod, ray and conger fishing but the visiblity was zero and the tide never seemed to stop running! Bugger! Would be brilliant for spearing otherwise!

Giant mutant lumphead perchbass????

come on people any ideas?

It does look like a cross between a freshwater perch and freshwater bass; Miles seemed to have sorted ID but I wondered how the hell it ended up in Bristol Channel?

We'll i think its Almost certainly a tripletail - Lobotidae: Lobotes surinamensis... possible in UK waters..... going to have to do some record checking......

I can't see the dorsal fin rays properly in the photo that was provided, but to my eye the fin ray count is wrong.
The Lobotes has 11 finrays on the dorsal, I can only count 9
If you contact James Maclaine in the NHM he may be able to help.

Mr James Maclaine
Curator of Fishes
Department of Zoology
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
London SW7 5BD
U.K.
Phone: +(44) 020 7942 5761
Fax: +(44) 020 7942 5054
http://www.nhm.ac.uk

Huan,
I work at National Museum Wales and it's in our freezer now.
Think one of our bods is going to make take/make a cast of it before it heads off to NHM. We dont have a big collection of fish here sooo it looks like it will be heading to London....

I'll keep you posted about its ID....
ben

Huan
Just had a count and there are 11 - the two either end are quite small and not obvious in the picture.

lovely looking fish though....
ben

A tripletail in Britain!?!?!? Man, 100% sure I garantee it's a Lobotes surinamensis, a typical tropical and subtropical species. "There's no scientific evidence of the so-called global warming", says W. Yeah, right.:head :rcard

Too bad you're gonna keep it in the museum, the meat is delicious...

Last edited:
Yup,

I caught the news too, think we may try and get a model made of it before it goes into the Natural History Museum's collection. We may also try to get our hands and our model makers onto the big eye from Burryport.

As a geologist im a 100% sceptic when it comes to global warming. Im sure its happening but not necessarily as a result of mans intervention. Natural cycles, self regulatory systems and a history of far more dramatic past climatic change suggest we contribute a nominal amount. I think we should all stop worrying and spending vast amounts on cutting back on energy consumption and pollution, after all global warming has happened and in reality its probably already too late! Shouldn't we all be thinking of more appropriate forward planning, better storm drains, coastal defences, irrigation systems......big three band mid handle guns with breakaways.....

Ooops.....Rant over
ben

Reactions: podge
Ted,

Have a cold beer on me then.....Rio may be sweltering but here in South Wales we could do with hotter longer summers.....

Climate sceptic signing out.... (to look for some new Lobotes recipies and sharpen that spear).....

I agree Tripletail. I caught one here in Okinawa, Japan and I took it into a bait shop to get it printed. The Japanese guy looked at me and said, "What that?" I told him, you're the expert here, you tell me. We looked it up in his fishing book and turned out to be a Tripletail, unfortunately the name got lost in translation and he printed "Triplet Tail" on my print.

JOe

we see em all the time over here in florida. Cant spear em though. Too stupid. They do a great impression of some seaweed. Caught these ones over the summer.

Attachments

• me with 3tail.jpg
    me with 3tail.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 197
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT