• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UK government proposes ban on online dive knife sales?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GrandeBleu

Apr 29, 2017
I was buying a utility knife on the weekend from an online camping store in the UK and informed on the website that the UK govt. plans to ban all online knife sales in the near future (this would include any kind of knife including diving knives). I saw this as an announcement on the retail site itself when I logged in but could find no date on the proposed ban...

Does anyone here from the UK know anything about this? If it goes through it will mean anyone trying to buy a knife online will no longer be able to, all knives would have to be bought from some kind of store, in person, where ID could be requested (even though all online knife sales already require verification of 18+ age, but that's the UK government for ya...)

This will affect me as I'm an independent artist and craftsman by trade, and I also spearfish and need diving knives...

Looks like I'll have to go buy a few more dive knives while I still can, as I don't live anywhere near any sort of diving equipment store. I thought I would give others a heads up who live in the UK, this ban could be passed soon, if it isn't already in the works.

It would be to me as I live in a rural area miles from anywhere and certainly miles from any shop that deals in diving gear.

I still can't seem to find a date on this... I've seen several articles including the BBC one over the past week but none have a concrete date this ban will be in effect. Just ordered myself 3 different models of dive knife anyhow, hopefully before any of this affects the retailer, in case I lose my only current dive knife on a dive. I nearly lost it last time as one of the straps failed.

What the hell would the point be of banning knife sales? That sounds very strange even for me living in hyper controlled and regulated Sweden.

Reactions: GrandeBleu
I live in a rural area also 228 miles/366.93 Km to the nearest dive shop but at the end of the day the government is trying to save lives as it is far to easy for children to buy knives online and it is far too easy i cannot believe how easy it is and because of this knife crime has gone up and more innocent people are getting killed. If that is not good reason enough i don't know what is, if it saves lives that is fine with me. How are you going feel if the government didn't do this and some kid who has bought a knife online stabs someone close to you with fatal consequences and you find out after the government could have done something about it but didn't.

I totally agree about protecting the public, but with the whole knife thing, I just think how easy it is to grab a carving knife or similar from the kitchen and do bad with it. Sometimes I think that the government do things that they think will appeal to the masses when in reality they know it will not make the slightest bit of difference!? ;)

Reactions: GrandeBleu
Yeah, this is about the dumbest proposal I have heard of. Knives are everywhere, what, you think kids will not carry knives just because they can’t get hold of a cool one? Knives are everywhere, kitchen knives, carpenter knives, etc, etc...
The problem is the underlying structures in society, it is a more rough life for kids today, loads of parents that don’t give a shit, don’t support.

I live in a rural area also 228 miles/366.93 Km to the nearest dive shop but at the end of the day the government is trying to save lives as it is far to easy for children to buy knives online and it is far too easy i cannot believe how easy it is and because of this knife crime has gone up and more innocent people are getting killed. If that is not good reason enough i don't know what is, if it saves lives that is fine with me. How are you going feel if the government didn't do this and some kid who has bought a knife online stabs someone close to you with fatal consequences and you find out after the government could have done something about it but didn't.

Strangely knife crime has risen in the UK even while stricter knife control has been enforced. I know a UK officer who says most crimes are committed using cheap small fixed blades (about the size of steak knives) since they are easy to buy and they just toss them if they see police.
The kid who bought the knife online could easily have gotten a knife from the kitchen drawer.. People who want knives always have easy access to them and banning online sales is just a thing so politicians can pat themselves on the back saying they are doing something about it. They have even tried to ban pointy kitchen knives....

Amber Rudd thinks this will actually stop kids getting a hold of things to use as weapons. It's already against the law for anyone to purchase knives online without verifying age. I've bought several dive knives and utility knives already online and every time I do I've been asked for proof of age. Rather than ban knife sales which are already age-checked, why not just make a law that ensures someone has to sign for it at the door, and as a routine check the courier asks for age ID? No sign and no proof of age, no delivery. That would solve the problem as far as it can be solved, without putting retailers out of business.

As for how I would feel if someone close to me was stabbed... well I know how that feels. Banning knife sales won't do a thing to stop it because it's the intent, not the knife, that does the damage. If someone's determined to stab someone else, they can use a hundred household objects to do it, like a screwdriver. I suppose we'll be banning sales of those next...

Reactions: Pinniped72
Or maybe she doesn't actually think it will do much at all and just wants to be "seen" to be trying to do something. In the end though, there will always be some number of kids (and adults) who carry sharp pointy objects and some who get hurt.

UK has become an ineffective Nanny State on the issue. Even hospital doctors were pleading to have any knife over 3" banned from sale at all at one point to somehow reduce stabbing injuries. Can you imagine a butcher trying to do his job with a 3" fruit knife? At least someone realized the idiocy of that idea.

Well your better off starting a petition to try an prevent it happening then as once the government have made up there mind there is no turning back or just make your own knives as i have been doing for years as people in rural areas used to do before online shopping.

Last edited:
The retailers themselves seem to be urging people to write to their MPs. I'm fairly sure online petitions are completely ignored by the govt. here. Letters to MPs probably will be equally ineffective.

I'd love to be able to make my own knives. Unfortunately I don't even have a spare room, shed or garden at present to be able to do any such heavy duty crafting work.

In any case I stocked up on dive knives myself. Retailers are still selling at this point for anyone wanting to get some of these tools easily before the ban.

Funny i can't remember saying to start an online petition. I spoke to my brother in law who manages an out door shop and he said he had heard nothing about stopping the sale of knives online and would have due to the fact he sells knives on the shops website.

Chances are this will go through, the question is when. Probably before the end of the year is my guess

"Banning the possession of outlawed weapons - such as zombie knives, knuckledusters and ‘throwing stars’ - on private property would mean police were able to seize them and make arrests."

LOL! I can bet that the knife violence in the UK is 99% caused by the shittiest cheapest knives. Who the hell walks around with a "zombie knife"... lol again, or even better throwing stars! Thats like what 12yr old kids jerk off to, but seriously, who would carry that with the intent to hurt someone?

Ok, brass knuckles, they are used and do some serious damage, and they have no practical use what so ever, I totally get a ban on that.

So what. If someone throw a brick and someone else gets killed, is a ban on bricks legit? :)

Reactions: sewin
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT