• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UK season is on..or is it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dived today with a friend of the south coast. Sea mist all day with viz down to a couple of hundred metres at one point. Stayed close to the boat to avoid getting lost, that said underwater viz was okay up to about 3m. The start of this season has been slow for me but my dive buddy goes from strength to strength he had a good catch again of fish weighing 12lb, 10.5lb and 10lb. Tommorow it will be my turn.

Hey Kev
"FIsh" ain't much of a description. Give us a clue. Please don't say bass. At that size I'll cry!
Dave

You must get the box of paper towels out i am afraid :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork Bass isthe word.

Good fishing Old Dave

ok guys, first of all im stoked that uk has spearing, i shall be coming over early next year for a long awaited break from uni before i am unleashed in the real world.
i will be living in a small town called Market Rasen in lincolnshire, and also maybe staying with my auntie in Brighton. Is there much diving around any of these area's? i havent been back to england for 10 years, and the thought of not being able do dive every divable day is begining to frustrate and scare me.

It wont be diving like i'm used too, but diving is diving none the less.

also, is there any other speices of nice eating fish to shoot other than bass, mullet and flatfish?

Howdy Nick
Bass are definitely the target fish but there are other edible species other than the ones you mentioned. Pollock, Huss , Mackeral , Black Bream, Guilthead Bream. Also Scallops, Spider cabs, Brown, Crabs, Trigger Fish.
Nothing here is like the Yellotail athough last year a Barracuda was shot.
When you hunt the SeaBass pretend you are NZ Snapper Snooping and you will not go wrong. The Open water Bass act the same and are found in exactly the same terrain.
Water temp is about the same as NZ.
Cheer

I have feeling that season will be on at some places in UK... but definately not here.. There was so much fog around I couldnt even think of going in..
My season is totally still off.. but hey perhaps next weekend or year... if the weather doesnt get better..:(

Pekka

Def. on Fabio has tekn pretty much every fish there is her ... I believe that he took a 6kg / 13 lb bass on Sunday but have nt seen it - saw a couple that he had on Monday - a 5 and a 3 possibly....
I had a 2 pounder bass - first of the season so pretty happy but also crying underwater as I missed a very large bass (VLB).. swimming over kelp - saw a large bass - the familiar grey/ purple shape - sitting motionless in the kelp ... thought if I dove down it will go (directly below me)and if I shot it it will be a miss.... so I shot from the surface - missed it... absolutely gutted ...swam down to check the depth and was about 6m.... hard to aim for a bass back - but also I guess it must have been huge - to see it at 6m down and to realise that it was a VLB and missssssss - ahhhhhh ! Feel the agony !
Anyway the day went from strength to strength..
Missed another - it swam towards me and lodged under some kelp as I went down for aspetto - I aimed and had it square but I think that the spear made a right angle and the bass had some kind of magic talisman... missed.. #2

Missed another in about 1m of water - took my time but again lined it up and the spear sweared about 120 degrees... pretty powerful stuff these bass have.....

Screamed underwater for a while and then 5 mins later missed another one - all of the ones I were missing were at least 5 pounders... and the first one maybe in excess of 10 pounds - hard to tell at 6m....

Went today - at high tide which was uncharacteristic...

In the shallows saw a nice bass of about 4 to 6 pounds in the mrk (all cloudy from the seaweed / shore break) - tail only.... 5 mins later same story - could make out a vague shape crossing to my eft - need to be swift eith the shots....

Still - had a nice meal of whelks / scallops / oysters / crab / bass / pollack / mullet / plaice and broccoli tonight - french friends had even done the decent and bought champagne !

Later - Ed (season is ONNNNNNNN for sure )

so where abouts are you guys spearfishing. is there any good spots near brighton?

all i remember is the peble beeches!

and what depths are the weedlines generally at?

Congrats Ed
If your shooting is as good as your typing it's no wonder you miss so many. :D
Still it's good to read a decent report. Here's the version from Kev and Dave "Went diving in English Channel. Caught fish".
Fabio where are you? :mute Post pictures and own up - or else!!!! :vangry :waterwork
Dave

Pekka -COME ON put a compass on your float and go fishing,

Sussex and Southsea Clubs held a interclub competition at Bognor Regis Sussex on Sunday Ist May, southsea winning, not many fish caught .Good fun though . We fished about 1.5 miles offshore.Foggy or what see pic's

Old Man Dave.this might give you a clue as to where we catch fish! :ko

Good Hunting Old Dave :)

Attachments

• fog.jpg
    fog.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 154
  • fog bognor.jpg
    fog bognor.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 149
  • more fog.jpg
    more fog.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 149
Old Man Dave,

here is the report!

Saturday 30 april: landed at 5pm, by 6.30 I was fishing with Ed (for about a little bit more the 1 one). I caught a sea bass (about 2 pounds) and a nice wrass (which is really good thinly sliced with spring onions, cherry tomatoes and olive oil and lemon juice).

Sunday 1 May: went fishing on my own at 7 am the place where we met a months ago. After a few minutes, I shot the big one (probably 12 pounds) and a smaller one, both in very shallow water. Then, I drove for about 5 minutes and stopped again. In about 2 hours, I shot 3 nice bass (again, all of them in very shallow water, always where the waves broke against the rocks). I actually missed one which was fairly big, I shot at it when it was right in front of me but I just left a mark on its gill (as sometime happens, after being shot at, I came back and looked at me showing a certain amount of interest, then quickly disappeared).

Monday 2 May: went fishing for less than one hour (my wife was getting a little impatient with myself and the seabass). Caught a couple of bass and then said goodbye to the sea ...

It was a fantastic long weekend and I already miss Guernsey a lot (very jealous of you guys!!!)

Ciao

Fabio

Nice one Fabio. You are the man. :king
It's good to see that you appreciate the fact that I showed you the best spot for bass. Unlike some I could mention with not a unsimilar name to mine who fishes somewhere off the south of England and catches "fish" - apparently! :ban
Tell you what Fabio I'm going to get in the water soon , if I can get out of my armchair and then watch out. Actually looking forward to us diving together.
Dave

Old Dave
Sussex? Southsea? Old Dave? Dave Heaphy of Sussex? Spearo champ of the 70’s. Dave (I think it was Dave) Bartlett of Southsea? Memories of the competition circuit of years ago. Jostling for position in amongst the turds and mullet off the “Bunnies” pipe at Southsea. Am I in the ball park. Have you any idea what I’m on about?
Dave

Old Man Dave,

here is the picture of fish caught on Sunday. It would be great to go fishing in Guersney together with you! Really looking forward to that!
Ciao

Fabio

Attachments

• P1010077.zip
    680.7 KB · Views: 200
Well here is the pic that Fabio asked me to post ...
I think that many will agree with me in my quest to get Fabio's passport revoked !

Nice one and look forward to your next trip !

What length gun did you end up using for most of the time ?

Any tips on finding a bass in the kelp directly 6m below you ? I tried a shot from the surface (I estimate it have been in excess of 10 pounds.... still gutted) but might try for 'pesca in caduta' next time - need to practice a bit - think that Murat mentioned a good technique for this ?

Cheers & happy hunting (I know what I'll be doing this weekend....)

Ed

Last edited:
Went out yesterday and got 3 bass.
A 1.5 pounder (oops) a 2.5 pounder and a 3pounder.
These are the 3 that I aimed at and didn't miss so must have been having an off day the other day - also worked out that all my shots were low as a result (I think) of putting a little o-ring on the flopper - didn't use one last year and only started to use one this year. Maybe affecting the aim ? Not sure but all the shots were quite low.

Really nice area with alot of bootlace weed and about 2m deep with boulders and breaking waves. Saw quite a few bass around the 3 pound mark all in groups of 3 to 4 - no solitary monsters though...

Also saw alot of mullet (30+) including an absolute monster which circled me - must have been at least 10 pounds, never seen one that big before.

Might have another go today....hope the season picks up wherever you all are...

Cheers
Ed

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT