• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underwater Hockey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Hey,

Recentley started playing a little U/W hockey and my cressi 2000 hd's aren't exactly kosher (hard plastic blade). Don't really want to speand a fortune on fins, but want to be able to motor w/out bloodying people (think that would be the classy thing to do).

Old timers seem to be wearing mares quatro avanti... or comparable sporasubs. I also wouldn't mind a free diving fin if it was soft.

Any suggestions would be apprectiated.

In another post I stated that I got to try out an underwater speedometer.. get this.. I matched the speed of my Pure Carbons twice (outta of total of 3 runs) with my Sporasub Cruise .. which I believe are the same as the Mares avanti quattro. So, I think those would be a good choice. I hope to do more testing of fins this winter.. want to test for acceleration differences from a stand (swim) still. By the way.. my pure carbons were the fastest of the fins I tested except for the mono and the speed was somewhat sustainable.
There are some uw hockey players on the board that may have more info for you.
Fred

Reactions: defofthecrown
Sounds good to me.

Jon I know you've got the veritable smorgasboard of fins to choose from, but do you ever spearfish w/ your Cruise fins? I wouldn't mind something less stiff than the cressi's or w/ an angled blade for long surface swims or clear water. Think the cruise would cover that nicely (think shallow...)?

Oh, and anyone w/ a url for a shop that carries them and I'm set.

Actually one last thing. I wear the 10-11, 44-45 cressi's which fit perfectly w/ or w/out a 3mil sock. So the compirable sporas size would be...

Def,

I hunt in my cruises once in a while during those hot summer months when I don't have to use much weight. They work pretty well in water less than 10m. And yes, you could surface swim all day and never get sore. You'll find that the cruise footpocket is very similar to the gara pocket in size, shape and feel. Just make sure you have a set of finkeepers to use with em. Even the best fitting fin will get plucked off playing hockey.

Save yourself some change and keep your eye on eBay. I've seen a pair of new 44-45's numerous times that were trying (without success) to sell for 40 or 50 bucks (with a mere 10 for shipping).

Ted

Reactions: defofthecrown
Amazon has a special on Mares at the moment ...

you can get a new pair of full foot avanti's for about 59 bucks.

Def,

The Cruise's would work out great for that kind of stuff. I have used them as a warm water scuba and freediving fin, when I was on a trip without a lot of extra space for two sets of fins.

They do a great job for surface swimming, and shallow hunting would be a breeze with them. I find them to be very comfortable and have swum many miles in the pool with them on. I actually have an easier time doing dynamics, in the pool, with these fins as compared to anything else I own- but it could just be a problem with a 25 yard pool.;)

The Avanti HP's are a shorter fin that is also much softer. I have a pair that I used to use for teaching in the pool. When I try to swim with them on it almost feels like I am barefoot, as compared to my other fins.

The Cruise's are also known by their Mare's name: Avanti Quattro Power's. They are the exact same fins but with different names, and different prices.:confused: The HP's and the HP TRE"S are not the same fin. Make sure you get the right one.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT