• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underwater hockey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ReefTroll

Expert Space Drummer
Apr 9, 2008
Played a fairly tough game last night, my breath hold isn't if as it is, but it took me a while to find my rhythm last night. Is there a way to get into the swing of it and get a nice level of comfort for my lungs from the start?

Also, I watched some of the senior players at times taking only one breath between underwater runs, is this just a progression of apnea abilities?
Posted via Mobile Device

To start with comfort lung you have to make your own warm ups. Like when we do static we do not go directly for maximum first we do some warm up breath holds(first attempt 1 min 2nd 2 min) then maximum in addition to stretching yoga techniques... All best

hey reef troll hows it going? i myself play underwater hockey used to play for mens open division. But now for me cardio for freediving training. What i have discovered is stretching and a few dynamics at a slow pace followed by some short sprints to 80% will help your game a bit more. Just remember not to over do it during the warm up aye. As far as your senior players are concerned that is a long addaption to the sport to be able to do take one breathe after a sprint and keep going again. Things that will help is running and underwater dynamics. I also play underwater on FRC that has allowed me to have extremely quick recoveries only down side is legs go lactic sooner. Just be warned that FRC and underwater hockey is pretty hard on your body and takes a while to adjust to it. Hope your enjoying the game haha best cardio training ever.

Regards,

Kyle

Thanks Kyle! Going good mate, and you? It is a crazy workout that's for sure, and your info is great. I ride most days so hopefully this can help also. It's definitely a good sport, played field hockey for around 12 years but my knees aren't up to that anymore!

Cheers,

Gav
Posted via Mobile Device

hey reef troll, yeah it is a great sport to play aye. good cross training for freediving to as long as you do specific freediving training.. i usually play twice a week and train for freediving 5-6 week depending on my work load. Its amazing though it wont take long to stay down for a bit go for a sprint then keep going aye.. C02 tables can help for this sport to you can do them dry big section on them in the begineers freediving section.

Regards,

Kyle

Hi, I also play Underwater hockey, or octopush as we call it here. The ability to stay down longer certainly comes with training, it helps if you are going for a run on goal. Then you can stay down longer to score :D It is an amazing sport which I love.

Greg.

I use UWH AS my CO2 training... because I hate 50m repeats with decreasing time intervals!

at least it's fun!

Forward / centre is good for sprints and muscle training... and defense is great for static hangs in front of the goal...

:D

There is another type of game/sport for this kind of training - AQUATHLON.
And I could teach/train anyone :)

[ame="http://youtu.be/I0kn8KdBrmE"]The world of Aquathlon - YouTube[/ame]

I somehow doubt it Alina :)

We do tug of war and other games for fun as part of training but i draw the line at aquathlon. Maybe UW kickboxing would work better

Jeez, looks more like aquadrown..

I don't know why they worry about the ribbons in the womens events, why don't they rip each others bathers off.

I'm not really a bad person.

Really.

I'd better faqua off, before I get into trouble.

Too late, I've done it again.

Poida

I might give it a shot if it were co-ed. :chatup

Jon

co-ed, as coeducational? or..?
Guys, it is a nice sport...
I mean kids play it! it's not like the combat diving

Alina : combat diving?
Sorry i know this started out about underwater hocky but underwater fighting sounds far more interesting

looks like fun but i think im going to have trouble finding someone prepared to get in the water with a 95kg gorilla

ha-ha! :) Don't know about that...I'm not a typical athlete as well....but somehow I've never had a problem.
If you will find some - I'll be allways happy to help you with the rest
As I am an Aquathlon trainer.

Alina out of curiosity - what happens if you stop them from getting to the surface? Blackout?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT