• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underwater Remote Control Camera for Comps, OpenROV

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MartinTee

Jan 12, 2011
OPENROV

Came across this today which could be controlled from above the water. It then could be linked to a laptop with a live feed as it's under water and I think can get to about 100m

Could be the cheap persons answer to getting under water footage and linking it back up top for comps?

Reactions: maui400
Wow, this could be indeed a solution for spectators watching athletes!

Love these projects but looks like it's only been tested to 20m. I think the fact that it has to be connected via a wire might be limiting for great depths and probably dangerous (you wouldn't want that anyone near the line...

Maybe we can improve it :)

Wow, this could be indeed a solution for spectators watching athletes!

I was thinking about that too :)

Regards the line, that might just be a problem but hey, there are probably electronic/photography/video guys on here who might have a few ideas to make it better.

I´m currently working on a project involving waterproofing a IP surveilance cam. I´n theory you should be able to make a drop-cam that has panning ability and direct support for basic pc setup.

Depending on the shell structure I believe that it should be able to withstand depths up to 50 m. Phase 2 of the project is to make a 100 m rated model and phase 3 is to integrate it to the diveline to provied online footage from the bottomplate at all time.

Unfortunately, it requires funding, time and a decent workshop... all which of I have very little of. So progress is slow.

I´m currently working on a project involving waterproofing a IP surveilance cam. I´n theory you should be able to make a drop-cam that has panning ability and direct support for basic pc setup.

Depending on the shell structure I believe that it should be able to withstand depths up to 50 m. Phase 2 of the project is to make a 100 m rated model and phase 3 is to integrate it to the diveline to provied online footage from the bottomplate at all time.

Unfortunately, it requires funding, time and a decent workshop... all which of I have very little of. So progress is slow.

Nice! Not sure how much progress you made but if you haven't done much, it might be worth considering starting to modify the OpenROV kit instead? It might save you tonnes of time and money...

I almost already have all the electronics I need (camera, repeaters, cables). One problem is to get the video and input current to transfer over long distances. Today I´m going to do a 20 m cable test (that´s the longest cable i have) and see how it works out. If i get a good signal, then I´m going to buy a 50 m cable and see at what point the signal cuts of.

For the housing I´m probably going to use PVC piping to begin with and then if it proves successful probably have a steel housing made.

I've been thinking about a setup for while and think you need to incorporate the camera setup within the whole rig to keep the camera setup lined up with the dive line and not spinning.
You should be able to make it go up and down only.
The antenna could be inside the rope so it needs minimal signal strength.
1 or 2 motors, servo, speed controller,guides,receiver and rollers.
You could have the camera recording constantly to make things easier.
I will try get a pic of what I mean.

Ok, some small progress again. Signal tests gave 40 m of Cat6 cable without additional amplification of the USB signal.

I also completed the very crude PVC housing and it´s waterproof! I did a 2 m / 1 hour test in the pool a few days ago and couldn´t spot any leaking.

This weekend I´m gonna try the lake setup and do 10 m and 20 m tests. I´m not worried about the housing /should be good up to 9 bars. But there is no way to rate the Epoxy sealed connectors so just have to go slow and see if it starts to take on water at any point.

Will try to get a few pictures up shortly...

Last edited:
Ok, I finally tested the camera a few days back, and it´s waterproof to 30 m! It was down at 30 m for 15 min and afterwards the casing was completely dry. Would have prolonged the tests but had to take my laptop to cover as it started raining.

However, there was a few issues. The camera worked fine, but the murky waters in the lake didn´t produce more than a few short glimpses of the diveline. I clearer waters it could be more useful, but we don´t have any here close by. Also small current was twisting the camera a bit so focusing on only one point can be tricky.

Conclusions:

Camera needs to be manuverable (motor operated survailance cam or similar in acrylic casing). Othervise it will be very hard to aim and keep target in picture.

Web camera technology can be used very affordable to produce average quality video from pool comps for streaming (ustream etc.).

Epoxy sealed Cat6 cabling/hose connector should be good for 30 m. More testing needed.

IR video needs to be tested yet. Could produce better images in dark and murky water.

I will try to get pics and video up online. Unfortunately nothing from the lake as the guy at the laptop forgot to press record. :/

- J

I was witnessing the event. I must say that for such a low tech "off the self" and very affordable parts it worked surprisingly good. With that already you could stream live video from CWT into the internets.

Add a proper light, a little higher quality camera (more sensitive) and a wide angle lens and it would already be pretty cool.

Aligning the camera and entanglement issues need a little thinking still.

OPENROV

Came across this today which could be controlled from above the water. It then could be linked to a laptop with a live feed as it's under water and I think can get to about 100m

Could be the cheap persons answer to getting under water footage and linking it back up top for comps?

I did a bit of googling and looks like the OpenROV kits will cost something like 750USD, excluding batteries... Sounds a bit pricey but then again I don't know what I was hoping for...

Lets see if I get these pics to work:

P1050128.JPG

P1050130.JPG

P1050135.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT