• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

unexplored territory

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aparna

Mar 6, 2002
The idea of exploring spearfishing in India hs really got me excited since i seem to be among the really few people actively pursuing it here....
but there sure seem to be lots of opportunities in the waters off my country' coast....
so now i seek buddies to accompany me on the tour and also to give me a few basic lessons in the sport...
finally but very importantly....what is the best equipment that i can use as a novice to the sport??
really really waiting for a few quick responses....:)

Reactions: Erik
Hi Aparna, there is a lot of good equipment out there, but you may have to consider availabilty, meaning what's close to you. However, almost anything can be had on the net within a few days. Cressi, OMER, Picasso, Sporasub, Esclapez, are good companies that sell tope end freedive equipment, including spearguns. There are others on the forum who know spearguns; I'm sure they will respond with advice.
Buy a good Yamamoto 45 wetsuit from OMER or Picasso, buy some good fins from OMER, Picasso, or Sporasub. Buy a low volume mask from any one of these. Mares makes some good gear too, but their longblades stink.
There are links to OMER, Picasso, and some others on Deeper Blue; have a look at stuff and then ask some more questions.
Check out www.diveinn.com , from Spain, and an excellent store, with all sorts of gear. I can attest to their efficiency and good service, as can others here.
I hope that helps a bit, let us know how your search goes, and feel free to ask any questions, people are very helpful here, but take a look on the search engine onsite as well, there is a lot of info in the archives.
Namastay,
Erik Y.

material material material

Hi aparna,
the only piece of equipment you need is the will to go out there and do it. Erik offer very good advice on top of the line equipment, but, as a novice, do go and spend that much. Get a used wetsuit, some weight, a mask that stick to YOUR face, a basic snorkel, and a pair of fins.

For the fins, any type could do, i would recommend JB Escalpez green for a novice if you want freediver's fins. But basicly for a start, any pair will do. That is because your leg muscle are not build yet for the fining movement. Get a little muscle and training with fins first and then you can go into a dive store and try different pair to see wich one fits better.

For the mask, because of the need to equalize it, the lower the volume of air, the easier to equalize. But, as long as you dont go under 30'/10m you dont need to worry about that.

A lot of people get exited about diving, buy a lot a stuff and that the end of the story. So good thing for us that never tired, you can get a lot of near new used equipment.

So, if you have the budget, go for it and spend, but all you need is the will and the love for the sport. Chance favor the brave;)

Bonne plongée

Reactions: Erik
Thanks a ton!!

Thanks a ton guys for the wonderful responses!! I can surely start on my spearfishing expeditions now with so much help....
and yes, all those exercising tips and the second hand equipment idea is great....
waiting to take the plunge....;)
and finally this one's especially for Erik.....
any more quotes from Mirabai??? i am surely looking forward to them....
namastay!!

If the rest of you will indulge me for one post, I will print the full poem by Princess Mirabai for Aparna:

If by bathing daily God could be reailised
Sooner would I be a whale in the deep;
If by eating roots and fruits He could be known
Gladly would I choose the form of a goat;
If the counting of rosaries uncovered Him
I would say my prayers on mammoth beads;
If bowing before stone images unveiled Him
A flinty mountain I would humbly worship;
If by drinking milk the Lord could be imbibed
Many calves and children would know Him;
If abandoning one's wife could summon God
Would not thousands be eunuchs?
Mirabai knows that to find the Divine One
The only indispensable is love.

Namastay, and good hunting to you
Erik Young

Tasty stuff Erik.

Another literal interpretation of Mother Ocean as church. Nice. Works for me.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT