• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Untreated Sewage - ATTN GUERNSEY SPEAROS

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Notice of Surfers Agaisnt Sewage Public Meeting and Protest next week

Notice of SAS Public Meeting and Protest in Guernsey for next week. Hope you guys can get along to one or both. All the best

Richard
Surfers Agaisnt Sewage

1st October 2004

NEWS RELEASE

SURFERS HOLD PUBLIC MEETING AND THEN SUBSEQUENT DEMO CALLING FOR FULL SEWAGE TREATMENT IN GUERNSEY

On Tuesday 5th October from 7:30pm – 9pm at the Guernsey Yacht Club, Castle Emplacement, St Petit Port, SURFERS AGAINST SEWAGE (SAS) will hold a public meeting outlining a campaign to bring a full sewage treatment programme to the island.

The public meeting will be an opportunity to learn more about the methods of treating sewage properly before discharging to sea and the risks from bathing in sewage polluted water. Recreational water users from across the island are expected to attend but all our welcome.

PHOTOCALL: On Wednesday 6th October at 9:30am, a delegation of gas masked, wetsuit wearing, board carrying surfers will arrive at the States of Guernsey buildings at Sir Charles Frossard House, St Peter Port. Here they will deliver a letter of protest to the Chief Minister concerning the unacceptable level of sewage treatment currently used on the island. The technology is outdated and allows for raw/untreated sewage to be discharged to sea. Accompanying the surfers demo will be a large inflatable op!

SAS has been dismayed by the low level of investment the island’s sewerage infrastructure has seen, especially in light of Jersey’s embracement of a full sewage treatment policy in the early 1990’s. With the use of Ultraviolet (UV) Light Disinfection – a form of tertiary level sewage treatment Jersey has become a haven for watersports enthusiasts and has boosted is economy through a healthy tourism industry backed up by clean and safe water.

Richard Hardy, SAS Campaigns Director says: “This is a unique opportunity for the people of Guernsey to learn more about what they have been missing out on for the last 10 years with poor sewage treatment…….and how they can make a difference in delivering a sewage system that would make the island’s waters much cleaner and much safer to use.”

For more information please contact Richard Hardy on Tel: 01872 553001 or Mob: 07711 767548.

Apparently they have stopped pumping....so...

---------------- "
Guernsey Fishermen’s Association president Peter Munro said: ‘Naturally we are very pleased that the work is finished and because we haven’t been informed of any contamination, we can only assume that the scallops are healthy and everyone should go out and buy some.’
------------"

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/code/shownewsarticle.pl?ArticleID=012040

Get yourself a barrel load while they are cheap I reckon - they are so obviously safe.

Once again :

Abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence....

Think I'll stick to the East coast for the next few weeks anyway.

Happy hunting - Ed

True enough Ed - I for one will steer well clear of the East Coast.

So they have stopped pumping from the White Rock but the rest of the Island's jobbies still go out into the little Russel from the Belgrave outfall.

We must keep the pressure up on the local departments + politicians to put a stop to untreated sewage ang get proper treatment works in place.

BTW - Predictably I haven't had a reply to my email to the public services department asking for information. What I want is essentially their sewage manifesto. I pay my taxes .. blah blah!!

Laters
Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT