• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Update on the holster and my 24" phnumatic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ocean_314

Oct 4, 2006
Well i took out my holster with my phnumatic in it for the second time. The first time i tried to use velcro to hold in the gun, and the velcro wasnt strong enough.
I added snaps one per each strap (4 velcro straps) and tied a shoelace to the trigger gaurd and my belt. This worked perfectly!!!
The dive today was unique, where i normally hunt there was about 13 or so sea lions basking in the sun on the surface which means no hunting there. So i swam about 100 yards to another spot and shot a couple of rockfish with my pole spear when Mrs. Lingcod showed up. I unsnapped the gun and then couldnt get the shoelace off, the bow became a knot. lol
So i swam down very gently right alongside the fish and shot from my hip the tip of the spear was about 2"from the fish. The spear went all the way through the fish and the end of the spear was still in my gun, i was that close. Stoned the fish. It was 32" long and about 15lbs.
So i am going to shorten the cord that came with the gun and use the cord as the safety line that is tied to my belt and through the trigger gaurd.
Got my abalone on the way in, it was a very nice flat ocean today.

Give us somw pics mate, or maybe a link if you allready posted pics. I would like to see the holster setup quite interesting when youve never seen a gun shorter than 750mm...

Here are a couple fo pic of my holster with the speargun in it. I jsut noticed that one of the snaps ripped through the Velco so i need to reattach it.

Attachments

• speargun in holster.jpg
    speargun in holster.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 220
  • speargun in holster2.jpg
    speargun in holster2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 227
just rigged up a clip on the safety line instead of tying a bow. No more knot problems. This is a work in progress.

personally I would find having a loaded speargun that close to my femoral artery somewhat scary

How about a pic of how you wear it? I would presume that the spear is pointed down past your knee, not up the other way (re Amphibious' concern).

If you recall Eric Fattah was considering a very short speargun and the discussion of having tungsten alloy spears made came up- very high density would give the short spear mass approaching that of a much longer one.

Any thoughts?

How about making the tip pocket out af bullet/knife proof kevlar?

That would make it safer.

my concern with a holster-fire would be during the draw. speargun safeties are simple at best.

personally I would find having a loaded speargun that close to my femoral artery somewhat scary

I'm with Amphibious.
Pneumatic holsters are mainly a scuba-hunter's piece of gear, in which the gun is kept unloaded. A scuba guy doesn't mind using the 20 seconds needed to load it while under water. A freediver on the contrary has two choices: keep the gun unloaded (and in this case the holster is useless to say the least), or risking serious injury from a loaded gun accidental firing.
Consider that a pneumatic safety button just blocks the trigger, but does not 100% prevent accidental firing due to some gasket failure or so. I'm using airguns since 1988 and never had any accidental firing, but many people I know had this kind of "surprise" on some rainy day.
This is just for your safety :martial .

Last edited:
All pneumatic guns use pretty much the same trigger. A mushroom shaped piece on the back of the piston hooks into a sear that pivots in the middle. Pulling the trigger pushes a pin against the other end of the sear from the piston and "unhooks" the piston There is nothing to stop the sear moving apart from a small spring and friction. All pneumatic guns can be made to fire without pulling the trigger if you hit them hard enough in the right place.There have been many cases of pnematics firing themselves after being dropped on a boat deck. This is not to say they are unsafe, just that as with all spearguns the safety is not to be trusted
cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

All pneumatic guns use pretty much the same trigger. A mushroom shaped piece on the back of the piston hooks into a sear that pivots in the middle. Pulling the trigger pushes a pin against the other end of the sear from the piston and "unhooks" the piston There is nothing to stop the sear moving apart from a small spring and friction. All pneumatic guns can be made to fire without pulling the trigger if you hit them hard enough in the right place.There have been many cases of pnematics firing themselves after being dropped on a boat deck. This is not to say they are unsafe, just that as with all spearguns the safety is not to be trusted
cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

Dave, I couldn't agree with more.....

all guns, except some modern handguns, have the safety that blocks the trigger only....so if you hit them hard they shoot.....I remove the safety of any type of gun that I use to hunt/spear and whenever I find myself in a potentially danger situation I offload the gun. The safety can be inserted accidentally and it may happen when you come across the fish of your life, in this case you point the gun and pull the trigger as hard as you can and yet the shaft doesn't leave. Few moments later when you realize that all that is due to safety it is too late: fish gone!
DON'T THUST IT, JUST REMOVE IT....

Thank you all for your advice. This idea of the holster came from a small 12" speargun that is sold with a holster in California. Is there a difference between the safety on this 12" gun, i think mares makes it, and the one i am using?
And yes it hangs down my leg halfway between my knee and foot.

i don;t think it matters what type of safety your speargun has. you are trusting your life to a small peice of metal. handguns do not offer a direct comparison to pnumatics as they amount of power the sear is holding back is very small.

I applaud your creativity on the creation of your holster, but it really solves a problem that never existed and only adds to your risk in the sport. salt water is wonderfull at slowing or eliminating clotting. an accidental firing while drawing your weapon could sever your femoral (large artery in your leg) and you'll be dead in a matter of minutes.

Reactions: dave
I agree - I would NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES strap a loaded speargun to myself - let alone a pneumatic. In another thread somewhere I read about these guns misfiring if a screw in the trigger or somewhere is not properly adjusted. I mentioned this in another thread when the idea first came up. Sorry to say but it's an incredibly bad idea. A loaded speargun belongs only one place - in hand and pointed away from anything you don't intend to shoot.

thanks guys i am emailing Cressi to get more details on the gun. The problem that i am trying to solve is that where i dive in Northen Califronia waters most of the fish i shoot are rockfish between 12 and 20 inches. I lawys get into quite a few of these fish and awalys get 10 (limit) and then some big sriped perch around 15" sometimes a whole lot of them. I use a pole spear for these fish with great success.
Once in a while i run into a big lingcod or cabazon and the pole spear just doesnt have the power to do much more then give these fish a poke. Last year i tried to use my pole spear on a 30+lb lingcod and 20+ cabazone with not much success, both fish came off the spear.
That is why i want a speargun in a holster for when i run into these big fish.

what pole spear are you using? I've take fish up to 50lb (grouper) with a polespear with no problem. very sharp breakaways are king

why don't you carry the speargun unloaded on your float? You would not be ready to nail a suprise biggun', instead you could just divide up your session to pole and spear. From what you say (hip shot at 2ft) these lingcod etc don't sound like they move too much.

here, we use a search, mark (with a weight on floatline), surface, load, dive to mark and shoot sequence for deep fish. it would work great for your needs I think and be 100% safe.

good luck

Amphibious i am using a 6' polespear with a paralyzer tip. The break away sounds great, no one uses them here and i have never heard of them before.
Do they work good on the smaller fish? and are they easy to reload? I shot on a average day 15 to 20 fish. The north coast is loaded with fish if you know where to look for them, and yes the fish all get eaten, you can only dive about 60 days out of the year here due to rough waters.

The lings are are easy to aproach but they are moving most of the time, the one i shot was moving then stopped just as i got up to it. does the breakaway have the penetrating ablity to make a big fish stay on after its speared?

Once again thank you all for your advice its greatly appreciated.

the sliptip was MADE for polespearing the northwest. you NEED one. misnamed it a breakaway.

15 to 20 fish? I wish we had your catch limits. hope you are aware a mature rockfish is 50-120yrs old. keeps me from shooting many. (that and our one-a-day limit).

contact "Linghunt" on ebay, he makes great ones and he can shed some light on polespearing in the pacnor.

eBay Store - Linghunt's Hunting-Diving-Surplus: Stringers, Motors Servo GearBoxs, Pole Spears

i use one simmilar to the link below, made by him.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/Replaceable-Hardened-SLIP-tip-Pole-Speargun_W0QQitemZ250051497692QQihZ015QQcategoryZ47353QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem]eBay: Replaceable Hardened SLIP tip Pole Speargun (item 250051497692 end time Jun-16-07 19:28:06 PDT)[/ame]

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT