• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Update on the holster and my 24" phnumatic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Amphibious, I will check out the sliptip sounds perfect. The rockfish i am shooting are blues and balck with a few olives and black and yellows. The blues and balcks have a very fast and high reproduction rate, they travel in big schools and have made a tremoudous comback since the restrcition of the commercial live fish fishery around here. I dont traget the slow growing rockfish, i am very much aware of the biology of the fish i hunt or fish for.

Re: Update on the holster and my 24" pneumatic

You are crazy for having it loaded on your side. If the spear is pulled hard in some way, they fire. They don't fire on their own though. They have to get hit pretty hard somehow to be fired. Its easily preventable.

They are still really safe if you use your brain. You don't bring it in the boat loaded and if you do, you obviously have it pointed out-wards and in your hands the whole time. I don't bring the speargun loaded on the boat unless I'm going to hit another drift. I keep it pointed out-wards so even if it shoots nothing will happen. You never point the gun at anyone in all circumstances obviously. Even when loading the gun, people forget this rule.

Couldn't one make a rubber holster such that if it accidentally fired both the gun and the spear would undergo an exponential increase in resistance by the stretch of the holster. Still might cause a jolt to the leg, but one might be able to find a safe level from an effective "dampening" holster.

tyler, my old pnumo could go through the sides of a galvanized trashcan (lots of these ended up off docks and the grouper lived in them) there is a large amount of powere in them. would have to be a helluva retention system.

You could reasonably contain an accidental discharge this way - if the gun fit snug in the holster it would have no room to accelerate. But this wouldn't mitigate the risk of it firing while being removed or inserted. Not to elaborate what I think is a really bad idea - but I've seen foot loaders for pneumatics consisting of nylon webbing and a metal cap for the tip. You could easily design a holster that would enable you to load a short pneumo as you pushed it down into the holster. A quaint marketing name might be 'Suicide Holsters'
I think the right pole-spear is probably the ticket for Ocean_314

Last edited:
I know an old Post, but an important Topic. Any of the player still around, and what happened with a little history.

I've had some great thread dialogs on gun Safety and not shooting your buddy. The Holster is a shoot yourself deal.

Wasn't me, but remember a story when an idiot shot himself in leg playing quick draw with a 22. Different animal yes.

But pistols, rifles, shotguns, (the dreaded assault rifle from mis-information in drive by media) and SPEARGUNS and POLE Spears.

They can kill you... got to be smart out there, Holstering, Safeties. etc.

Quick draw Rodney is typically not Clint, and will shoot you or himself.

Be Careful out there and My Number ONE thought.

On the Drive out to go Diving or Hunting, etc. You and your Buddy talk about not shooting each other and how you are going to handle your weapons... (1) You both are thinking about it. (2) perhaps you can come up with a better method to not kill someone. (3) perhaps Getting the World record Fish with Picture in Paper not really be worth it, if You kill your dive buddy...

How is your next dive going to feel , knowing you shot your "old" dive buddy on last outing.

Post in forum for dive buddy connections:

Need new dive buddy, Last one got shot by me going for world record. I don't use a safety, I shoot fast and go for it. Need Buddy soon before Court hearings.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…