• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Urchin Recipies

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
thx for the link, I've tried uni more than once and its some rancid foul tasting stuff, yet I've met quite a few who swear the stuff is delisiouso:confused:I sometimes wonder if the ones I've tried are rotten or something???

thx for the link, I've tried uni more than once and its some rancid foul tasting stuff, yet I've met quite a few who swear the stuff is delisiouso:confused:I sometimes wonder if the ones I've tried are rotten or something???

Tone I’ve never tried it but lets face it mate anything with Heavy Cream in it has got to be good.:p:p

Reactions: azapa
cmrSeaFood - Sea Urchin: Frozen Salmon Hake Mussel Smelt H&G IQF

i gota say it's one of the ocean's nicest treats for me, and 50% of Chile, the other half hates it. We use the red/green ones, with 5 fat "roes" or tongues (gonads, which is what they really are, is hardly an inspiring word to use). The spines are short and the urchin removed (sometimes) by a gloved hand.

best eating is on the float out in the ocean whilst having a rest!

or:
- crack open (top is easier) over sieve over bowl
- remove tongues with finger (with practice they come out whole
- clean off goopies and drop them into sieved liquid
- DON'T RINSE in water

- take the urchins (about 2 or 3 per person) and place them in a clean bowl, give a final cleaning as you move them over
- poor in lemon juice to cover, and about 1/3 of the strained liquid
- add finely chopped red onion, raw, and cilantro, salt and pepper.
- let sit for an hour, don't stir hard or the tongues will fall apart
- don't refrigerate

serve with hot buttered toast and nice coolldd sauv. blanc.

sweet dreams!

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti and podge
I must say sea urchin (& anemones) have no eating appeal to me whatsoever. I am overlooking a great delicacy?! (I think probably not:D).

the flavour is so sweet and delicate it's hard to describe. you must try them, at least once ;)

Reactions: Mr. X
anything with Heavy Cream in it has got to be good.:p:p
and
with 5 fat "roes" or tongues (gonads, which is what they really are,...

ah, I dunno guys, creamy gonads just dun sit right on my ears...:t

the flavour is so sweet and delicate it's hard to describe. you must try them, at least once ;)
my stylist use to say something similiar:girlie

Reactions: spaghetti and podge
in the north of egypt, the mediterannean, we eat urchin like this:
crack it open, add salt, lime, (hot chilli optional)...then eat straight from the shell...
yummy

in the north of egypt, the mediterannean, we eat urchin like this:
crack it open, add salt, lime, (hot chilli optional)...then eat straight from the shell...
yummy

yummy indeed! Eaten raw soon after taken from the sea it's a fullfilling sensorial experience.
Tone I don't think that the urchins we have in the Med are the same living in Pacific or Floridian /Cuban waters, but here in the Mediterranean sea urchins are true delicacy. Note that what we eat are actually just the gonads of this amazing creature, but as long as they're not human male gonads, you better just don't think about it and everything will be fine...

Other than eaten raw, you can bake them for a true classic of Sicilian cuisine. Spaghetti coi Ricci is a great, cheap, traditional recipe from Palermo, Sicily.
Here it rolls:
Spaghetti coi ricci
Cook spaghetti as normal (100 grams per person, boiled in slighlty salted water for 3/4 minutes if fresh pasta, or 8/10 minutes if dry pasta).
Meanwhile, take a pan, cover it with a thin film of olive oil, drop in some chops of chopped garlic. As the oil heats on and the garlic starts to turn blonde in colour (don't let it burn!!!), drop in half glass of dry white wine and let it steam off.
Soon as the wine has steamed off, drop in the previously cooked spaghettis and 3 spoonfuls of their boiler saltwater, add the raw sea urchin "meat" and stir the whole for one minute.
Served with minced parsley and a little drop of raw olive oil. (you may additionally grate black pepper and/or grate a bit of fresh lemon skin on top before serving).
Then tell me how it felt.

Last edited:
Tried Spaghetti Coi Ricci in Sicily , my favorite Spaghetti and a true taste of the sea .Err Spaghetti I agree with all you said , except the 'cheap' part , as I recall all the food in Sicily was really expensive , but then all the food in Sicily was wonderful .
Urchins are part of the seafood bonanza enjoyed by the French at Chistmas/New Year time too , sometimes we squeamish Brits miss out on these more unusual treats .
So my tongue-in-cheek question is can you be a seafood loving spearo but not like urchins ?

Reactions: azapa and spaghetti
Tried Spaghetti Coi Ricci in Sicily , my favorite Spaghetti and a true taste of the sea .Err Spaghetti I agree with all you said , except the 'cheap' part , as I recall all the food in Sicily was really expensive , but then all the food in Sicily was wonderful .
Urchins are part of the seafood bonanza enjoyed by the French at Chistmas/New Year time too , sometimes we squeamish Brits miss out on these more unusual treats .
So my tongue-in-cheek question is can you be a seafood loving spearo but not like urchins ?

It's cheap if you pick your own urchins from the sea and cook at home, while restaurant bills are indeed a P.I.T.A. in this country.
Otherwise picking urchins is free in Italy: you don't need a license to harvest as a private citizen, but there is a legal bag limit per day (and take note that if you exceed the legal bag limit, and you're busted, the Coast Guard will whip your butts to blood in the town square :crutch)

I need to try that Spago! sounds delicioso!
Too bad there are no med urchins here in virginia...or a beach for that matter :)

Too bad there are no med urchins here in virginia...or a beach for that matter :)

Virginia Beach!? :)
Mark Laboccetta lives in Virginia Beach and his father is italian born, so if there's edible urchins around he'll quite probably help you in the harvest...
Haven't you tried to contact Mark L. there in VA.?

hey Spago..No i havent tried to contact Mark..i live about 3.5 hours away from Virginia Beach...so probably in the summer (its -4 these days) hopefully the weather and my work schedule will allow me to get out to sea..ill make some contacts between then and now..i also have to buy new gear/spearguns etc... ! :)::):):):) i "forgot" mine at home, except for my sporasub hdessault fins :) man im going to get divorced for sure :)

heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy Saved by two "birthplace of civilization" (Egypt and Italy) DB'ers and a sporting Brit! thought i was going crazy. V. funny comments Tone ..:t

Ahh a side note: THE CRAB..

Erizos (as urchins are called in Spanish) all have a little "passenger". A 1/2 golf ball size crab without shell. Symbioses is the fancy word for the pairing. Their bodies are full of "Erizo" tasting juice. Guess what the tough guys do: take out the live crab, place on tongue a let it walk around, then SLURP.... suck the juices out and spit out the legs....

You're probably think I'm joking. NOPE.

Never had urchins or "erizos", however they fit into my motto: If it doesn't move fast enough...eat it! :friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT