• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

(Urgent) shooting line question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SeanButler

May 10, 2015
Hello,

I jut recently lost my shaft over a failed freeshafting attempt amd i am switching back to good old line shafting. So i was conidering using very light mono (50-100 pound) as my shooting line to get as much speed from the shaft as possible because my gun seac sting 75 just needs a little bit more range for shoooting mullet is this a good idea?

In theory skimping on the spear-line might help but in practice I don't think it is worthwhile. If you need more range, get a longer speargun.

I would be concerned about the diameter as much as the poundage. I think for the UK something like 1.65mm is about right. 1.5mm might be ok. I think my RA had 2mm or thicker "Mako line" - which meant it was still fine when it had a minor nick that would have made a thinner line marginal and a strong candidate for replacement. I see that you are in Oz - you get some pretty big fish down there don't you? Bigger than ours typically. Hmm ;)

I have switched to dyneema kite line from Marlow ropes, 1.48 mm diameter from memory and about 315 Kg breaking strain............... I know its almost unbelievable ;) I use it for my speargun, my pole spear slip tip and tying rubbers, great stuff!

Edited to say, its called Marlow 4G kite line, 1.4mm diameter and 317 Kg breaking strain, even better than I thought!!

Last edited:
I reckon that'd be strong enough :D

Personally, I will stick with monofilament for spear-line, it has nice properties for this purpose: cheap, readily available, some stretch/shock absorption, plenty strong enough for my needs. Dyneema spearline has no obvious advantage for me, except perhaps cut resistance (although I gather abrasion & knot slippage can be a problem).

Dyneema/kevlar/Spectra's lack of stretch is a good feature for cinch knots around rubbers. I use nylon braid but you really have to make sure it is very tight because it stretches. I have some kevlar (sold by spearitco.com for this purpose) but it seems too thin to me - strong enough for sure but I think it would cut into the rubber; I suppose the trick is to not overtighten Kevlar, as it doesn't stretch but it has a reputation for being rather stiff & slippery for knots, so I suppose a balance must be reached..

Dynaglide spectra is almost as fast as mono, personally I hate mono for any spearfishing application, mono cuts easy, is rubbish after one nick, any structure and forgot it. Hollow braid is very very light and moves through the water very well. Dynaglide is relatively cheap if you do a search online, and a quick tutorial on splicing will give you a join stronger than any knot, in fact stronger than the rated strength of the line. But the dynaglide holds a bowline knot perfectly and it's 1000lb breaking strength at 1.8 mm! It was developed as a throw line for climbers so it comes coated with super slick coating.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

As MrX says, if you need more range try a longer gun, or a roller gun. Convert your 950 to a rollergun, with 16mm bands and two wraps of shooting line (1.8mm mono or dyneema) and it'll send a 7 or 7.5mm shaft a lethal 6m, with very little recoil.
For the reasons the dude was saying on the mono, I have just started running 1.5mm dyneema shooting line. It's a bloody nightmare underwater! Loops and tangles real easy. I'll persevere though.
One thing about having a gun with a long range though, is having the accuracy to go with it. It's easy to start taking marginal shots and losing fish due to bad placement. Sometimes you just gotta be closer.

Reactions: Dude George
sorry, just re read you have a 75. Would still make a good rollergun.

I put a MVD roller muzzle on a 70cm gun for freshwater / low-vis shooting and it's ideal. I couple it with 200lb mono and would not need or want to go lighter. It shoots out to 2 wraps quite handily and recoil is amazingly low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the MVD too.
IMG_5139.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT