• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

US freediving road trip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

OCeanDeepYoga

May 25, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm just hatching a plan to do a cross country roadtrip from CT to CA and want to hit any and all freediving spots that I can along the way. Does anyone have recommendations for spots, shops or any other vital stops? Any specific dive sites that are accessible to <30m freediving down the East Coast and across the Gulf? Any dive centers that are a good hub to meet up with dive buddies?

Thank you,
Owen

Reactions: Lobo Marino
Don' t miss out on La Jolla Cove. (North suburb of San Diego) Easy entry from shore, nice kelp forest, plenty of tope sharks in the kelp, chances to see leopard sharks and six gills in season. Also, a colony of harbour seals at the pool, and california sea lions at the Cove. One part is a marine protected area, one part is open to spearfishing.

Rad! Thanks for all the suggestions folks. This will make for an awesome adventure. I have a sense of good faith amongst the freediving community and I'll post looking for fellow divers and buddies to go explore these site with. Maybe to join for a some of the ride! My car is super small though so won't have room to share the accommodations on the way.

Don' t miss out on La Jolla Cove. (North suburb of San Diego) Easy entry from shore, nice kelp forest, plenty of tope sharks in the kelp, chances to see leopard sharks and six gills in season. Also, a colony of harbour seals at the pool, and california sea lions at the Cove. One part is a marine protected area, one part is open to spearfishing.

I'm dying to dive the kelp forests! What thickness wetsuit do people usually use there? 7mm? I heard the water is freakin' cold!

I'm dying to dive the kelp forests! What thickness wetsuit do people usually use there? 7mm? I heard the water is freakin' cold!
i Had a 7mm top and 3mm trouser. It did not feel cold, the water was 70 Farhenheit in May, and the surface felt warm with the sun. Better get gloves for the thermocline. it was about 54 farhenheit in the thermo at -15m. The thermocline definetly gets your attention and you feel it in your fingers ;)

Reactions: OCeanDeepYoga
I have a Navy buddy that just moved to SD. We are talking about a weekend trip to do some shore diving and maybe some spearing. Thanks for the recommendation as it looks exactly like what we are after. Are you local to the area?
Not local, but i was working as instructor in Southern Baja for a few years. Could not resist checking the diving in California. Southern California diving is under rated. I 've heard that Coronados Island diving is good too . The Islands are in Mexican water offshore from Tijuana, but charter dive boats from San Diego go there on day trips. The visibility is probably better than in San Diego, as it is far enough from the coast. You might wanna check if charter scuba boats take freedivers.

Reactions: TimHouTX
Well if you drive through Utah I would suggest diving lake Powell. Then lake mead next to Las Vegas. Lake mead in particular has some interesting dive sites

i Had a 7mm top and 3mm trouser. It did not feel cold, the water was 70 Farhenheit in May, and the surface felt warm with the sun. Better get gloves for the thermocline. it was about 54 farhenheit in the thermo at -15m. The thermocline definetly gets your attention and you feel it in your fingers ;)

thanks for the warning, mate

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT