• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

US National Spearfishing Championships - Safety

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

musubi

Feb 9, 2017
I recently participated in the last spearfishing championships in Kona, Hawaii and noticed no rules of diving with a partner. This being my first time, I was surprised of no rules (that I know of or read) that existed for requiring a partner for safety.

I realize this cannot be new news to most of you and I assume there must be a reason for this in the US, as other countries do require safety partner(s). So my question is why. Why is it not a requirement to have a partner for safety reasons?

While we're required to participate in teams with multiple people/partners, everyone splits up, going solo. I just find it ironic is all, that regardless of what type of diving we do, we heavily promote diving with a partner and never diving alone.

During the competition, my partners and I decided not to split up for safety reasons. I realize now that it was heavily to our disadvantage as I know we could have shot more fish total and individually if we weren't spotting each other.

Every year multiple people die diving/spearing, just around Hawaii. 3 in the past couple weeks alone. I can't imagine collecting the most points being the reason for disregarding having a partner....right?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…