• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Using a Pendulum?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
does anyone have experience in using Pendulum? How do you usually setup your weights on your belt and what do you use as pendulum weight?

Reactions: strangelove
BladeRunner

Alberto March does that on the Picasso video, you may want to check that out.
In Brazil we called sputnik, I've done but not on the extreme way March does (he is a pro-champ) , just by holding a two ponder on my hand and letting it go at the bottom, it worked really well.

What depth do you usually use it At? I also have the whole set of Picasso tapes and have that very one in the VCR so I know what your talking about!

BladeRunner

I think that video is a spearfishing lesson; it is one of my favorites. I’ve actually found out by accident, I always carried a float with a weight on it so I can anchor it down and fish around it. That day the location was really deep, when diving down I’ve notice the extra glide down and I keep using it for that. I was fishing down at 25 meters, I thing the weight gave me an extra bottom time. The key was to remain motionless on the decent, and let go of the weight at the bottom.
If I was going to get serious about using this technique, I would make sure to have two weight belts on the boat, one very light that I would use with the extra weight and another with my regular. Notice that Alberto Mach is using a belt with just 3 kilos when doing the pendulum.
I tried using this technique here in Alaska but I am yet to get my self balance with the required 7mm wet suit, I gave up for now, may be next season I will try again.
The rumor I’ve heard in Brazil was the Bruno Hermany (Brazilian world champ) , won the 63 title using some like that, but I don’t know that by fact. (I am not quite sure about the year as well).
I think the equipment one would need to do something like that is a gun rigged with a reel, a light weight belt that would be somewhat negative with the extra weight, a float line and float. Also make sure be discipline on the way done not move and get really relax and remembering to release the weight at the bottom.
I must say, I am no expert on the subject I am sure there more qualify people on this forum about this subject them me.
From that Picasso series which one is your favorite ?

Reactions: Erik
In any case, its safer to use it in order to work more comfortable in bottom rather than pushing deeper dives

The original sputnik was devised by Brazilian team members that competed in Med in the late 50s to mid 60s. It was a very complicated contraption, a big torpedo shaped ballast that slid in a tube screwed onto the mid-handle air guns of the time. The ballast was held by a quick-release clip in the float. The line was usually ~60 ft. long. The diver released the clip and sunk like a rock holding the speargun handle. When the set depth arrived, the ballast would be held by the line while slipped out of the gun. And the diver would keep on going. This sputnik was designed to dive at 25 meters... very deep at the time fins were ridiculously short. Bruno Hermanny used to win the individual world title in 61, in Italy. Note that the sputnik was retrieved by someone in the boat, not the diver himself...

As in competitions now one must retrieve one's own ballast, extra ballast like the spanish and italian pendulum, or heavy belts used by the French, divers started to use something lighter and easier to retrieve. According to the one of the masters of this technique, Bernard Salvatori (from France), you must over-ballast yourself in such way that, when you expire all the air in your lungs at the surface, you MUSTN'T sink. When you start sinking, remove 500 g and so on. It all depends very much on each individual body density, wet-suit thickness and depth that one intends to hunt. Albeit has the pendulum has the advange of being easier to be retrieved, but your belt weights must always be "tuned" to the depth you intend to be positive buoyant.

The dropable belt technique (la largable) used by the French you need maybe "tune up" the belt only when use different suits, but it's more of a pain to retrieve the whole lot.

Be aware that deep diving is always EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. although drooping weights decreases the risks somewhat. The rhythm must be slower and be done always with someone watching you from the surface.

Ted
Rio

And Murat, those techniques were devised to have a safe return. Never to increase bottom time. I witnessed some French spearfishers use them last August in Corsica, while they were taping a Tv special "deep diving spearfishing in the Med" and a promotional DVD for Dessault Sub. I saw with my very own eyes Yannick Vaissette, Bruno Noguerra and Bernard Salvatori dive to 40 meters to stalk (and catch) dentex. Their bottom time rarely surpassed 1min40sec.

Ted
Rio

Reactions: Mr. X
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…