• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Using a reel and line length

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dpmcf

Jun 27, 2011
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a Mares Phantom Speed 95 (single 19mm band), with a reel. Ive never used a reel before and I'm not sure about a few things...

It came with 410 cm/ 13.5 ft of mono-filament and the same length of nylon line- I'm assuming only nylon is too be used with the reel?

is this enough length for this size of gun? I read this online:

75cm gun requires 3.5m
90cm gun requires 4m
100cm requires 5m.

But I plan to increase power by adding another band, will this require extra line?

Also, When I fired my new gun the effort required to take pull the line off the reel was slowing the spear down dramatically- I thought that this was due to the fact that there was very little line on the reel- so I plan to pack it out a bit- possibly with some pipe lagging- this should help shouldn't it?

Any help is much appreciated

Reactions: Mr. X
I can't tell you how long a line that gun needs, but a shot should not have to pull line from the reel. You should have enough raps of monofilament shooting line to the maximum range of the gun. The reel line should only be pulled after you shoot a big fish.

This is a different type of gun, but maybe the photo can illustrate the principle. There are 2.5 wraps of mono between the muzzle and the line release before the mono attaches to the reel line.

Attachments

• blackwidow.JPG
    blackwidow.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 186
  • magnumw:reel.JPG
    magnumw:reel.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
ahhh, thanks Bill, now i understand! I now see that I have no need for a reel what so ever either!... cause I only ever hunt on reefs! I will keep the reel with the nylon cord on it though as it looks well cool!

would you recommend against using just one piece of long kevlar line rapping and on the reel?

...as maybe is it best to just do the raps with mono and have kelvar or nylon line on the reel?

Thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT