• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Using bait for lobster in California freediving.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aperakh

Jul 26, 2022
Question: I know Cali regs forbid using any tools while taking spiny lobster - hands only.
But hoop netters are allowed to use bait.
So is there a rule against using bait to temp the bugs form under rocks when freediving?

We have some artificial rock piles here with tons of bugs, but they're no like reef ledges. The huge rocks form all kind of deep caverns, caves, and cracks which are far too deep to reach.
So you see a bunch of bugs, and they back away form the light. And there is absolutely no chance of reaching one. Even if you do, they just back away further.
Any reason why you can't toss some bait in front of the rock and just sit back and wait a while for them to come out?

Question: I know Cali regs forbid using any tools while taking spiny lobster - hands only.
But hoop netters are allowed to use bait.
So is there a rule against using bait to temp the bugs form under rocks when freediving?

We have some artificial rock piles here with tons of bugs, but they're no like reef ledges. The huge rocks form all kind of deep caverns, caves, and cracks which are far too deep to reach.
So you see a bunch of bugs, and they back away form the light. And there is absolutely no chance of reaching one. Even if you do, they just back away further.
Any reason why you can't toss some bait in front of the rock and just sit back and wait a while for them to come out?
Placing bait in the sea isn't forbidden. My best guess is to make a rock formation with a corridor which helps you but not them. You can put salty sardines into their hole. They are stenohaline species and therefore will exit the hole if there is a big difference in salt concentration.

I don't do lobsters any more, but I'm not aware of any of my friends using bait at our local breakwaters. That could be at least partly because most of them freedive. It would get tiresome going up and down waiting for them to come out of the boulders. But even with scuba, how long are you prepared to wait? It might be more efficient to move on and find one that you can grab before it runs back in the crevices. And of course even if they came out for the bait, won't they just run back out of reach when you approach?

Here's a video of some guys who scuba off the Palos Verdes peninsula where there is no natural reef at all- just man made objects. It drives me nuts that they don't use anchor chain. They must never go out when the wind or current is strong.

I just picked that video at random out of they've posted and I didn't realize that it showed a school of giant sea bass aka Black Sea bass. For those not from Southern California, it's been illegal to take them since 1981 and they've made a big comeback.Sometimes they try to take our speared yellowtail or white sea bass.

I don't do lobsters any more, but I'm not aware of any of my friends using bait at our local breakwaters. That could be at least partly because most of them freedive. It would get tiresome going up and down waiting for them to come out of the boulders. But even with scuba, how long are you prepared to wait? It might be more efficient to move on and find one that you can grab before it runs back in the crevices. And of course even if they came out for the bait, won't they just run back out of reach when you approach?
I mostly freedive for them too. Wasn't sure how fast they react. Also though maybe I'd drop a a bit and move on and come back after few minutes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT