• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Using lures vs flashers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gotanno

Feb 23, 2019
Hi all,

I would like to use regular fishing lures (the fish shaped ones) instead of flashers; due to their high cost!

I'd remove the hooks of course, but I was wondering if a set up of, say, 5 such lures on a line would be as effective as 5 flashers?

I have started off recently and only shore dive (near reefs) for the time being.

Anyone here with experience in using similar set-ups?

Many thanks.

Look at Chris Coates' video on how to make a buzz bomb flasher. Cheap as chips and allegedly, they are... the bomb.

Coates has pretty crazy credentials in Bluewater hunting so I'm quite happy to take his word for how well these work - especially given that he can probably dive with any piece of gear he so chooses.

I've made a few and they certainly attract fish and besides the huge savings, they are easier to swim with and stow than the expensive ladder kind.

Don't have the link right now, but search for "how to make a flasher, Chris Coates" and hopefully the YouTube vid will come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok, nice! I'm all in for any excuse to drink more wine, haha.

I wonder if that "bomb" bit would be enough to do the trick or would I need to add other bits n'bobs to the line?

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Try just the bomb on its own - I think plenty of people do that, me included. You can always add to it later. It's just nice to keep it simple and with as little risk of tangling as possible

Reactions: Gotanno
Try just the bomb on its own - I think plenty of people do that, me included. You can always add to it later. It's just nice to keep it simple and with as little risk of tangling as possible

Ok will do! I saw another video where someone uses a disco ball. I happened to come across one that was very cheap cheap so I'll give that a go too!

I'm currently making a few. What is everyone using for the flasher? I cant seem to find the right acrylic panel.

Use old CDs or data discs. They are super reflective and super cheap. Flashers are not much of a benefit around reefs... flashers are blue water attraction tools.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT