• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Variable Weight Ascent/Decent Speed?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kodama

Jun 20, 2016
I would like to know the speed in meters per second of a variable weight dive.
It speaks for itself that this depends on your setup. The amount of weight you use to decent and the lifting capacity of your ascent device.
Not specifically looking for a single number rather I would love to hear the opinions of those with extensive experience in this discipline.

Because of the drag and other physics there must be a limit to what could be described as a comfortable speed.

Sorry I can't quote numbers, but its slower than you think. I use a 20 lb chunk of lead and was surprized at how much drag slowed me down.

In my own experience I just used a bag with dive weights about 12 kg if I remember correctly but it could be a bit less. My personal VW decent speed is limited by the speed I can equalize anyI never tried it past 30m.

I wonder how fast the decent speed of a sled is approximately.

Drag will be huge, past a certain point more weight doesn't do much. When Herbert did has last attempt his sled had to be very hydrodynamically optimized, and I think they got it up to 3 or 4 m/sec.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kodama
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT