• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

venom 75 carbon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nicko2k1

Apr 10, 2014
Venom 75 carbon, rubber powered speargun. 18mm rubbers and 6.5mm stainless spear

Im looking at buying this gun, but wondering if its ok for uk waters for begginer and what price second hand to pay.please could someone advise me please.

No idea about the second hand value but it would be a good UK gun.

Cheap, Chinese rubbish - I had a Venom as my first gun - absolutely shocking. I would avoid at all costs.

Buy something from a recognised spearfishing brand, the Venom range were just cheapo Chinese guns branded up by Spearo, an old online shop. Expect dodgy trigger mechs and general poor quality all round, the mech in mine died after about 5 uses, which made it misfire - fun all round!

Don't be swayed by a cheap carbon tube with a couple of horrible plastic spear guides glued on - get something from Pathos, Cressi, Rob Allen etc... Don't buy a venom!

Thx mate.if.you had £100 to spend what you go for.

Without a second thought, I'd go for a Pathos Saragos - Fins4U has just started importing them from Greece:

http://www.fins4u.com/spearguns_accessories_bags_and_socks/pathos_saragos_speargun_P664.html

I don't think there is a better gun this side of £200 - it's on offer at £99.75 which is probably the spearfishing bargain of the century.

The handle is a work of art - easily the best handle I've ever held - the reverse trigger mech very nice - it gives an extra 12cm of band pull compared to a normal mech - you only really see them on high-end Greek guns like Bleutec etc.

I got one last week and couldn't be more pleased. They're very compact as well, the 82cm is hardly much bigger than my Rob Allen 70.

Well bros dose have occasional problems with his guns, I have a 75 venom, yes it is basic but it works perfectly fine & has accounted for numerous fish!
Overall I am not a fan of carbon tube guns as I cant really see the benefits over alloy (on small light guns)
I have a large armoury of guns & to be honest the only one that has ever let me down was a 20 year old Beuchat!

The 75 venom is a little muzzle heavy, that is something I don't like & it kicks like a mule but I now have a single 16mm band on it, the gun shoots straight & is well used.

However I would agree there are much better guns out there.
My most used band gun is a Omer cayman 90 but there is a 75 model for less than £100 http://apnea.co.uk/69-omer-speargun-cayman-hf-camo.html these guns have a better balance than many but I have not tried the 75.

I knew as soon as I wrote that, you'd be trolling me about it, foxfish the dolphin hunter

Iythinkhthe Omer Cayman camo 90cm Is the one I'm gonna purchase thx guys

Are you sure you need a 90?

My first "proper" gun was a 90 and to be honest, it was far too big for a beginner - I think a 90 is good when you're fishing deep in good viz but for a novice fishing in the shallows, it's a bit cumbersome.

I think an 80 would be the best all rounder, saying that, I used a 70 all of last season and it was perfect.

Bros does have a good point, it does depend on where you live (dive) a few cms might not sound like a lot but, they are different guns in many ways.
I live in Guernsey & a 90 is standard but, a 75 is a good all round gun.
I would say though, that the cayman does have a slightly more buoyant design & I would think it would be a good 75 for the money.

Oh right ok good advise thanks guys.i am a novice diving uk waters 15 metres or s for Bass ect.so you reckon 75 is the way to go and to go Omer ?

Believe me - no novice dives to 15 meters - anything over 8 meters is getting into serious depth. I've been fishing for years and wouldn't dive in 15 meter water, in my opinion, it's too dangerous.

You'll find a lot more fish in the shallows - most of my fishing is done in <5 meter water - it's much more fun!

I'd go for the Pathos gun, it's the size of a 75 and has the power of a 90 - easy choice!

Toss a coin!
I have used pathos trigger units in my custom guns, they have been great but one, only worked when you pulled the trigger back to engage the spear!
I would say the choice is about one being new, sexy & trendy the other being robust & tested.
However.. re the power.. I use 16mm super stretch old school , bands on my 75s I like the easy loading to match the close rang of a 75!
Bros, you now the real source of short guns & power

Last edited:

Ok I like the idea of 75 power of 90.
I think the Omer is a better looking gun tbh.
thanks for the top advise guys, good to have people to help us newbies get into it thanks

Reactions: foxfish
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…