• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical Blue 2012 is Open to all!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well I guess there is no excuses this time, everything is perfect, I hope to see you all there :)

The event was announced only 48 hours ago, and we already have 26 reservations. At the moment our limit is 42 (this may be increased, but only if we add another descent system, which is unlikely). More places will be reserved for the highest-ranked athletes in depth from 2011, so if you are interested in attending I would highly advise getting in touch with us soon.

Competition is one year away for god sake :)

I guess you have to decide do you want athletes with the fastest internet, or those who can make the best results and are the best freedivers in general.

Competition is one year away for god sake :)

I guess you have to decide do you want athletes with the fastest internet, or those who can make the best results and are the best freedivers in general.

You can't win: if it is an invitational event and we choose the 'best freedivers' then we are criticized for being elitist; if it is open and the available places fill quickly then we're criticized for favoring those who are quick off the mark! :blackeye

Actually we have held back positions for the top-performing freedivers from 2011 (top 5 in each discipline & top 10 in combined CNF/CWT/FIM), and we've sent out invitations to each of these athletes individually (if they hadn't registered already).

So we should have the best of both worlds.

P.S. Once we reach maximum capacity then we will start putting names on the waiting list, and if these reach a sufficient number then we can justify creating a second dive platform and descent system.

Reactions: ReefTroll
I'm looking forward to seeing the <growing> athletes list!

And Wow William you're pulling out some big stops to making it BIG! (Wow)

Are there going to be camera's following the divers down and up? (I've made a sort of camera sled design a few years ago, posted here on DB)

Some other idea is that the announcer has a sidekick so there's a conversation going on on the events unfolding, techniques, history, backgrounds, materials etc. Maybe even have a 'chat channel' open to have some interaction with the world and fans. And do have post dive interviews where divers talk through their dive as repeat video of the dive is shown.

In between brakes you could show some clips of recreational diving and spearfishing, and talk to joe and jane average about misconceptions and other things. Maybe some talk to manufacturers about their FD equipment?

Well with all the support equipment and commentators you may need to have a bigger platform anyway, that as well may carry an extra competition line.

William I do hope that you can delegate everything out so you'll have the energy to do some amazing stuff yourself.

Sounds like an awesome event!

....... those who can make the best results and are the best freedivers in general.

It's not like that Goran, and it would be terrible if that were the case. I went this year and I am signed up for next year. It's such a cosmopolitan and good vibe event that it's hard to miss for me. In fact, I have been at vb2008, 2009, too (as safety). I have almost been at more VB's than Will ;)

I'm all for making freediving huge sport with hundreds of competitors in competitions but in the case when number of participates are limited the advantage should favor the best divers. And if you want to be at the biggest events you have to earn that somehow.

This is just my opinion, I do not suggest that someone should be there and it is not, or someone is there by mistake, or by any means I want to complain or anything. Just my opinion on the subject.

the non-best divers will never be the best divers without mixing with them. I like this sport because this still happens. I really hope to see you there Goran! And has Will said, the top 5 depth guys are guaranteed a place.

Reactions: ReefTroll
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The interest in this event has surpassed any expectation we had. There are now 53 athletes confirmed, or on the waiting list, and it is looking increasingly likely that we will have to use two official lines at the competition!

At this point we can still guarantee entry (as wild cards) for those athletes who ranked in the top 5 in CNF/CWT/FIM for their sex in 2011, or in the top 10 overall. The athletes who are still amongst this group, but haven't confirmed their entry are:
1. Carlos Coste
2. Antonijo Koderman
3. Jarmila Slovenčíková
4. Michal Rislan
5. Mateusz Malina
6. Martin Zajac
7. Ashley Futral
8. Alena Zabloudilová
9. Natalia Molchanova
10. Wendy Timmermans
11. Brigitte Banegas
12. Nicola Roderick
13. Karoline Meyer
14. Miguel Lozano
15. Giorgos Sakkas
16. Christian Maldame
17. Dimitris Chatziaslan
18. Rune Hallum Sorensen
19. Johan Dahlstrom
20. Jesper Stechmann​
If you see your name here and would like to compete then we must receive an indication of your interest before January 20. We will not be contacting members of this list again before that date, and if you ask for a reservation after January 15 then you will have to be placed at the bottom of the waiting list.

If you aren't on the list then there is still a very good opportunity that you can enter the competition. If we reach a sufficient number of athletes on the waiting list then we will invest in a second descent line system, which will almost double the number of athletes we can admit. Currently there are 11 on the list, and we would need a further 17 in order to go ahead with a second official line - something that is highly probably given the event is still 10 months away.
So if you are interested in attending then don't hesitate to write events@verticalblue.net

For all those who have already reserved a place in the event, we will be in touch within the next two weeks to provide you with details of how to confirm your presence.

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT