• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[VIDEO] 72M CNF dive last weekend in Hawaii

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

growingupninja

Lance (@socalspearit)
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks to all the Kona Sunday divers, particularly Jessea Lu, Kurt Chambers, Katie Pentz, and Brian Kispert who there keeping me safe and filming the moment! Because of schedule I had to make a large depth jump on this visit (my last real CNF max was 57M over a year ago also in Kona), so I wasn't positive I could finish the dive until about a week out. And between the xmas holiday and circumstance I couldn't secure two AIDA judges on such short notice to certify it as an official US Record, but the existing record is 71M, set in 2012. Enjoy the video!

Very impressive Lance, nice dive.

Next time you want to pole gun grouper on the Gun Cay wall, I won't be skeptical.

Connor

Very very cool!!! How did you train for this? Primarily interested in what you did outside of the ocean (pool, static tables) since I can't go into the water :arghh:

Very very cool!!! How did you train for this? Primarily interested in what you did outside of the ocean (pool, static tables) since I can't go into the water :arghh:

I did keep a workout log, and I mostly followed a training schedule of about 2 months [edit: I dive, spear and train hard year round so I was not starting from zero, but for this specific attempt and taper I set aside 2 months]. First 1/3 of that emphasized hypoxic cardio, resistance training/plyo and running, second third was more focused on lactic conditioning and low O2 with continued plyo, final third was taper which was more ocean, with balanced emphasis on CO2 and low O2 conditioning, short U/W sprints, target CNF dives, and some general swimming for warm-up/warm down, and no more weights/plyo or running. I basically just followed my old swim type training but adapted for apnea.

Throughout the first 2/3 I did usually 1 day a week of line dive training and once a week 25M-45M cold water spearing. I didn't actually train much CNF or even a lot of pool until I started my taper (once I was in Hawaii). I actually completed a 50M CNF dive in California before I even officially started training, because of the 5mm wetsuit etc, it was a very grueling 2:40 dive. So I felt somewhat confident going into my taper because previously in Hawaii I had been maxing out at 57M and taking 2:15 for those dives (I wear 2mm wetsuit for those), and I knew in Hawaii a 72M dive would take me about 2:40, something I had sort of already done in California.

A lot of my training philosophy and some workouts are here on DB in previous threads, I got my PFI instructor cert while I was in Hawaii and so will continue to refine my own training methods and be teaching others here in LA or wherever. Good luck with your training bbynaki! Dive safe!

Reactions: bboynaki and Kodama
can you share some of those entries with us? Like what kind of stuff did you do for hypoxic cardio? What distances running and how often? And what swimming workouts, O2/Co2 stuff? I am looking to add more exercises to my boring year-round training but not many people here keep logs!! Thanks. (y)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT