• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Video editing software for cutting and pasting files straight off GoPro

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Anders

Halibut hunter
Nov 13, 2008
I recently bought a gopro and have started filming a bit with a head mount during my spearfishing. The GoPro is great and the footage is usually quite nice, but one thing is bugging me. I don't like how the original files build up on my hard drive and would like an editing software that will allow me to easily cut away the parts of the movie I don't want to keep and paste the wanted parts back together without any data loss. That way I can free oodles of space on my computer and still keep the original file quality of the raw footage.
Can anyone recommend a program that does this fairly easily and quickly?
I already have several video editing software programs that work decently for making movies, but they're not very good at simple cutting and pasting of the original files.

Are you on a Mac? Then I'd suggest iMovie... (as part of the iLife software).
As for Windows... Don't know! Sorry...

hi anders, not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but firstly it could be good to make lots of files during the trip, and just keep the useful ones. I now use a 'code' so that at the end of any worth keeping footage i put my hand in front of the camera with a signal to 'keep' footage. when i get home to edit it, i have a good idea just by going straight to the end of the file. i get into a routine of start/stop the footage, but that may not work if you have a head mount...
otherwise for big files, i use power director, but other programs should work, and this allows you to select in/out sections of the whole video to keep. windows movie maker doesnt do this. saves hours of cut/trim and you could re-save the movie like that at whatever resolution you want.
lastly [well there are bound to be many other ideas...] you could use the gopro software - cant remember the name - and clip the bits you want to keep and save that as a new file...
personally i go for short clips, or let it run and use the hand signal to know what files to keep :)
hth?

Reactions: Anders
I recently bought a gopro and have started filming a bit with a head mount during my spearfishing. The GoPro is great and the footage is usually quite nice, but one thing is bugging me. I don't like how the original files build up on my hard drive and would like an editing software that will allow me to easily cut away the parts of the movie I don't want to keep and paste the wanted parts back together without any data loss. That way I can free oodles of space on my computer and still keep the original file quality of the raw footage.
I already have several video editing software programs that work decently for making movies, but they're not very good at simple cutting and pasting of the original files.

You want CineForm Studio from GoPro. Free download from their website

hi anders, not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but firstly it could be good to make lots of files during the trip, and just keep the useful ones. I now use a 'code' so that at the end of any worth keeping footage i put my hand in front of the camera with a signal to 'keep' footage. when i get home to edit it, i have a good idea just by going straight to the end of the file. i get into a routine of start/stop the footage, but that may not work if you have a head mount...
otherwise for big files, i use power director, but other programs should work, and this allows you to select in/out sections of the whole video to keep. windows movie maker doesnt do this. saves hours of cut/trim and you could re-save the movie like that at whatever resolution you want.
lastly [well there are bound to be many other ideas...] you could use the gopro software - cant remember the name - and clip the bits you want to keep and save that as a new file...
personally i go for short clips, or let it run and use the hand signal to know what files to keep :)
hth?

Thanks for the tip, both on the signal and the program. Unfortunately, the fear of forgetting to press record keeps me from taking multiple videos during a dive. Actually, I quite often forget that the gopro is even there until I'm back on land and am taking off my mask.. I'll see if the program gives me what I want.

You want CineForm Studio from GoPro. Free download from their website

I already have CineForm Studio, but the trouble is that it really doesn't cut and paste together original files. It converts the bits you want into another format, then you can convert them back to MP4 again. It doesn't allow you to paste the clips back together, at least I haven't managed to find that functionality. It could work for saving the original files I suppose, but it seems a bit time consuming to have to go through to conversions in order to split up a file...

Thanks for another tip. I tried the program, but unfortunately it was no use to me. It was so slow I didn't have the patience to wait for it to do anything to my videos.
After a bit of searching, I did find what I was looking for in a great little program called Xilisoft Video Cutter 2. Very simple to use and extremely fast at cutting up files (saves new clips of the original file) in the same format. Just what I needed. It can also paste the clips together into one file, but that drastically increased the time it took the program to do the job so I stuck with simple cutting. The program only does these two tasks though, so if you want editing software this is probably not the best choice, but for cutting up video files it works perfectly.
I found a free trial and bought the full version later. The free trial lets you cut three files into smaller pieces, and I believe it has full functionality.

+plus for avs4you video remaker or avs4you video editor, a winner combination for Gopro with this editing program. As it says you can create great home video without video editing experience. Simple cut, join, add music, transitions, effects, titles and burn to DVD

I would recommend Camtasia.

Reactions: mediaSollution
As for me, I usually use Joyoshare Media Cutter, an easy-to-use yet professional video cutter and editor. It can help users cut, split, trim and join videos without quality loss. You can also use it to crop and rotate the video, adjust video's parameters, add background files, apply watermarks, subtitles and special effects, etc.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT