• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Video of a shallow water blackout by a spear fisherman

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
This has been posted on two other boards and resulted in a lot of discussion about lessons learned, how it could have been prevented, how the rescuers handled it, how a Freedive Recovery Vest would have helped, etc. I think most of us have seen video of swb under controlled conditions- training in a pool, competitive freediving, etc. but this is special because it shows a "real world" blackout by a spear fisherman. The guy who blacked out is a friend of mine, and we have been together quite a few times.

And here are the comments from the victim.

BTW, they were diving on an offshore kelp paddy in water about 1000 feet deep. If the victim sunk unseen, there would have been no chance of recovery.

Reactions: Mr. X
Wow - scary stuff! Thanks for posting this Bill - it should serve as a reminder to us all!

Instructive to see somebody else make my mistake. Getting the mask off quick is a big factor. For me it had instant results.

Watching the diver come up, He looked OK to me at the very first, then, pretty quick, something wasn't right, then it was obvious that he was in trouble, before he BOed. . If you haven't seen an open water BO before, study the first part of this video

Very scary. Makes all my brief poolside blackouts look like naps. Thanks for sharing.

Great post, Bill. Open water BOs are a whole different animal than in the pool or a course with safety all around. They are very very scary.

I'd like to emphasize, study that video and any other ones you can find. All freedivers should get what that looks like deep in their subconscious. It wasn't in mine the first time I needed it and that could easily have led to a very bad screwup.

As an example: we just got back from a long dive trip. We dive a tight buddy system, one up, one down, but the water is so clear that it is easy to get lax. As the trip went on, we were getting farther and farther away from our buddies, sometimes over 50 surface feet. That's too far to render fast assistance and could be a real problem if a BO occurs 20 ft down. We had trouble only once, near the end of the trip. A young diver, who I had watched closely early in the trip(he was fine) was coming up off an 80 ft dive, dive time not particularly long for him. He looked normal, but something set off alarm bells in my head, the only time on this trip. I looked again and still couldn't see anything amiss. More alarms, and I started swimming to meet him at the surface. Looked fine til he surfaced when he hesitated just a bit. He said later the world started spinning as he hit the surface . He had not noticed any problem before that. The young man was clearly hypoxic and only seconds from a BO. I still don't know what I saw, but my subconcious sure did.

Seeing this video makes me glad I took the SSI Level 1 class. Im no expert but I really took note of how to help a blackouted diver during the course, and watching this video I saw none of those steps taken by the dive buddy.
Obviously it's a whole different story when something like this really happens but still well done to his dive buddy for being quick to react, and paying attention.

Even if your an accomplished freediver, but have never taken the course, you should.

Thanks for sharing the video. Is the video on youtube by anychance?

Reactions: jakeb1515
In Norway we are using a sturdy spearfishing line connected to a float, the weight belt, and the harpoon. Such that dropping the weights does not mean to loose them or the gun. It also means you are connected to the line and can be picked up. I didn see this equipment in use here. It was interesting to read the guys comments on reasons, i am always interested in picking up SWB experiences. Happy spearfishing!

At the point the diver purged his air, the recovery should have started. Within the panic of the event there were some crucial things missed out, 'Tap, Talk, Blow' the removal of the mask was the first thing which should of happened and this didn't seem to happen though-out the duration of the video.

Just glad the diver recovered well in the end!

Sobering post Bill, thanks for sharing that.
...BTW, they were diving on an offshore kelp paddy in water about 1000 feet deep. If the victim sunk unseen, there would have been no chance of recovery.
Perhaps are argument for attaching your float-line to your weight-belt rather to, for example, your speargun/a weight/a small anchor/a kelp-clip/reef-hook? [Although this guy was diving from a boat sans float-line.]

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…