• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

View on Garmin G1 (solar or not solar)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

KY Stark

Jul 24, 2022
Hi guys,

I am a beginner and looking to buy a computer for freediving (also for Scuba).:)
The reason i am looking at Garmin G1 is because, i wanted to upgreate my Garmin anyway for other sport training.

I figured, if i were to spend 300€ on a new garmin and another 200 to 300€ on a dive computer... then i could just as well have the Garmin G1.:confused:
Current price in Europe is 550€ & 650€ Solar.

I would like to know whats your thought on it.

TIA.

Waiting for my G1 non solar to arrive today :giggle:
Decided to save on Solar, because I can keep my Instinct Solar as a daily driver and wear G1 occasionally on freediving trips.
Could not find proper reviews on its freediving functions, but being a 3rd generation dedicated diving computer I believe Garmin already knows what to do to make a good product. So having high hopes.
Previously owned suunto mosquito (started occasionally show 10+m depth on the surface after 10+ years usage), and Atmos Mission One (started showing 0.5 meters on the surface and failing to end the dive (so I had hours long freedives :) in first few months of usage.

Reactions: DiveHacker
Got it!
Did not dive yet. From some fiddling with settings - I am slightly disappointed that the main apnea dive screen (that is active during the dive) is very restricted compared to other activities and surface screens.
There is only one screen with fixed layout (5 fields) and very limited set of values that can be assigned to them. I wanted to add compass heading in the diving screen, but it is not available in apnea (only on surface screen). I don't understand why this limitation.
Otherwise like it very much so far.

Reactions: DiveHacker
Got it!
Did not dive yet. From some fiddling with settings - I am slightly disappointed that the main apnea dive screen (that is active during the dive) is very restricted compared to other activities and surface screens.
There is only one screen with fixed layout (5 fields) and very limited set of values that can be assigned to them. I wanted to add compass heading in the diving screen, but it is not available in apnea (only on surface screen). I don't understand why this limitation.
Otherwise like it very much so far.
Interesting. It seems so customizable otherwise. Too bad you can’t add the compass. It’s funny because I too would like a compass on my dive screen. I dive out into the sand flats often and get turned around in low viz and have no idea which way to head to get to the reef. I don’t even look at my dive screen otherwise, ever, only the surface screen.

Interesting. It seems so customizable otherwise. Too bad you can’t add the compass. It’s funny because I too would like a compass on my dive screen. I dive out into the sand flats often and get turned around in low viz and have no idea which way to head to get to the reef. I don’t even look at my dive screen otherwise, ever, only the surface screen.
Same here. Low viz and currents sometimes make my bearing wrong by the time I descend deep enough to see the bottom :)

I recommend the non-solar Version, because the battery holds for at least 7 days anyway. I do my trainings with the G1 for almost three months now and I enjoy it a lot. Pool training for instance is great, since it records the tracks as well as the accurate dive time, as it starts/stop recordings already if submerged at 0,5 meters. It's a great dive computer, yeah.

Same here. Low viz and currents sometimes make my bearing wrong by the time I descend deep enough to see the bottom :)
I guess the g1 has an underwater compass but u have to press maybe the down button to get to it? Did u find that?

I guess the g1 has an underwater compass but u have to press maybe the down button to get to it? Did u find that?
Need to check, but my impression from the manual was that in underwater mode you can't actually do anything. You have only one screen while in the dive.

Need to check, but my impression from the manual was that in underwater mode you can't actually do anything. You have only one screen while in the dive.
Maybe. Scuba diver need compass tho. I think the gps may not work underwater but the compass does? Guessing.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT