• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Visiblity

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Baka

Oct 13, 2005
Last week i tried to hunt but the visiblity was so bad that i could only see about 3 feet. My question: is there a way to predict the visiblity of the water. im tired of getting skunked due to bad visiblity. Thanks for any info

based on the wind direction...
once u feel strong winds...then automatically visibility will suck...
the nature of the buttom matters alot...

so what i suggest is u log on to www.weather.com
click on world and type your city...u can get a good approximation and predictions for the the coming days...so u can plan for your dive...after strong winds,wait for at least 3/4 days then go for it...:t

sounds easy but u have to watch the wind very closely...:head

Happy hunting

Well... I aslo hate when the visibility sucks, but some how you hope for something to pass by...hehe!
Just a short question....

Does the weather seriously effect the fish behavior etc.What do you think?I mean if there is a storm or rain, clear weather...

Baka,
There is many things that effect visability different areas have diffent problems deep areas with hard reef on the bottom don't get much effect from a bit of wind while shallow muddy areas will. some areas of coral reef are effected by coral spawning sending normally crystal clear water to a red soup.
anywhere near a river may get dirty from muddy water washed dowm by rain , close to rocks may be reduced vis due to chopped up weed etc and aerated water after or during big seas -this can stir up fish feeding also, if you can find them. temperature changes -warm and cool water mixing can cause algal blooms making water very dirty. hard to predict all the possible cause and effects without good local knowledge easier to call local divers or dive stores. and ask recent reports-forcasts.
peter

alexanderXP
Does the weather seriously effect the fish behavior etc.What do you think?I mean if there is a storm or rain, clear weather...
. I think it has a large effect on fish behavior. My experence however is limited to the waters of the pacific northwest, i have found that clear weather has active but spooky fish, pre-storm weather has active and easy to shoot fish, storm weather plain stinks. Rain is good to hunt in as the fish are not very wary but visiblity becomes limited.

I normally find that when the wind comes in from the deep sea, you get big swell that makes shore waters a bit dirty, also it brings cold water to the shore , this creates a thermocline where you get warm water above but cold water on the floor, which has a negative effect on fish behaviour and quantities. If youre not quite clear on the vis, a good thing to go by is to check the waves and colour of the water, if the water looks blue and the deeper breaks looks clear when waves peak, chances are youll get good vis. If the water has a dirty green colour and you cant really 'see through' a peaking wave, vis is most probably bad. Then again this weekend we dove a small bay with pervect 5-10m vis but just outside it the water was a green muck with almost no vis and the clear water was right by a lagoon mouth. I might stand corrected on a few things said here but as was said before it largely depends on the area you want to dive and what winds works well for that specific area.
Save diving :)

That's what I normally hunt in. Days where it's better are nice, but I don't rely on them. I say go diving anyway!
Peace,
Erik Y.

Algal blooms: Any offshore winds, ie those blowing AWAY from the shore, will push the warm surface waters away from shore, allowing the cold water below to well up. That cold water usually contains more nutrients hence the increase in algae and plankton.

Strong southerlies (in NSW at least) bring warm water into the shore, meaning good vis and warm water!

I find it best to keep a record of wind direction and viz, as well as water temp each time you dive, and look at the preceding few days as well. In a year or two you'll get it right at 25% of the time :head

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT