• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Voit Swimmaster

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

yakfisher

Mar 17, 2009
I have an opportunity to buy a Voit Swimmaster like new for 20 dollars. I know this isn't a high end gun but for the price do you think it would be a good gun for the California north coast (ling and rock fish).

If its a Voit Swimmaster, it must be very old. That was the predecessor to the JBL line, and was itself preceded by Swimmaster. I still have a Swimmaster that I bought in 1961.

You didn't say what length, but the price sure is right. I would think it would do fine for the north coast. The big problem is that if you are a freediver, you want your gun to float after its fired, and that gun will sink.

You might get more specific advice about its suitability for the north coast if you posted in the CA forum.

If it looks like this, Bill is correct about the origin of the model. It essentially is a JBL. The shaft alone is worth more than the full price. You can seal the barrel or spray in latex foam in order to gain flotation.

Attachments

• Anas Pics 042.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 155
Here is what the original Swimmaster guns looked like, or at least what they look like now after being purchased in 1961. I don't use it.

Actually, I don't think that is the original muzzle. I think I changed it.

Attachments

• swimasterhandle.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 152
  • swimastermuzzle.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 147
  • swimmaster.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 148
I bought it. It looks like the one Slingshaft posted with the line release on the side. It needs new rubber but it was 20 dollars. It has two bands and I am excited to try it on some rockfish next month. What is thr proper name for the string release?

I took it apart hosed it out sprayed everythingwith wd40 and reassembled. I looks good. I don't understand how I would get new rubber on the wishbones because there are crimps on them and the crimps are solid rings. How do I get new rubber on the wishbones and under the crimps? Do I need to buy an entire rubber/wishbone setup?

You could tie new bands, using the old wishbones but whipping with waxed whipping twine rather than those solid rings. But tying bands is a whole new subject, and one that I don't have time to get into now even though I do it all the time. Its not an easy story, even though its an easy thing to do. There must be threads on it.

Almost everyone ties thier own slings, go to youtube and search constrictor knots.

Thanks. I looked up constrictor knots and the recoil thing (can't remember the name) that goes on the spear cord on youtube. I ordered all the parts and I'm going to build my own stuff.

I call it a shock cord, but it is really more of a snubber, a line tensioner. Where did you buy the bulk rubber and dyneema / spectra? Does the bulk rubber have a trade name?

I bought the rubber from Spearit. You would have to check their site I didn't notice if it had a name.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…