• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Want to learn freediving looking for advice, thanks in advance!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MartinK

Aug 9, 2020
Hey everybody, I am interested in learning freediving but unfortunately with Covid I don't know if I will be able to attend a freediving course this year. Any way to get started with training in the pool without taking a course? If anyone if the North Jersey area would like a training buddy I would be more than happy to learn from you and do my best to help us both improve. Thanks everybody!

Reactions: Mr. X
There's a lot of information on the internet. If you google you can find the course-manuals from AIDA and others, and here on DB there are extensive articles and forum threads with a wealth of information. Let me link one for you that provides a good starting point: here it is (click). Read that first, it will give you some basic knowledge so you can browse and search the forums a bit more targeted.

For the practical part of freediving, I'd say if you're still a beginner then you're not much at risk of drowning due to blackout. The biggest risk for you would be to make a practical mistake like swimming too far from shore, getting in a current, not knowing what to do when you get a cramp... stuff like that. You might learn some wrong or sub-optimal techniques and habits, and perhaps you buy some gear that later turns out to be not just it.

Not everyone here did a course, some prefer learning by doing. But if you go that route, do it with a clear head. Read first, then practise what you read about, then read some more. Try not to jump onto new lessons every day, but let your knowledge and experience evolve slowly.

If you go out alone or with an equally inexperienced buddy, stay well within your comfort zone and make sure you keep a good overview of the risks.

If you go out with an experienced buddy, make sure he is fully aware of you not yet being at his level and keep the dives for both at the limit of the least experienced.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartinK
There's a lot of information on the internet. If you google you can find the course-manuals from AIDA and others, and here on DB there are extensive articles and forum threads with a wealth of information. Let me link one for you that provides a good starting point: here it is (click). Read that first, it will give you some basic knowledge so you can browse and search the forums a bit more targeted.

For the practical part of freediving, I'd say if you're still a beginner then you're not much at risk of drowning due to blackout. The biggest risk for you would be to make a practical mistake like swimming too far from shore, getting in a current, not knowing what to do when you get a cramp... stuff like that. You might learn some wrong or sub-optimal techniques and habits, and perhaps you buy some gear that later turns out to be not just it.

Not everyone here did a course, some prefer learning by doing. But if you go that route, do it with a clear head. Read first, then practise what you read about, then read some more. Try not to jump onto new lessons every day, but let your knowledge and experience evolve slowly.

If you go out alone or with an equally inexperienced buddy, stay well within your comfort zone and make sure you keep a good overview of the risks.

If you go out with an experienced buddy, make sure he is fully aware of you not yet being at his level and keep the dives for both at the limit of the least experienced.

Thank you for the great information! I downloaded the AIDA manual and will read over the link provided and see where it gets me. Hopefully I can find someone in my area who would want to train with me. I really appreciate the support and the useful information. Best,

Martin

Reactions: Leander
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT