• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

want to start photagraphy, help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SpearoPimp

Jun 9, 2004
I would really like to get have a video cam but they are too much money for me right now and i don't think i would be able to carry one along with my speargun and i always need that b/c what if a trophy of a life time swims by and all i have is a camera? so i've decided i really want a camera i was thinking i could just keep it clipped or strapped to my belt and unclip when needed. has anyone done this successfully, will it work? i was thinking a tight velcro so it is snug against my body and not loose flopping around,.

I also don't know anything about cameras or film. Where can i find some good cameras ( i don't want a piece of crap) any reccomendations on a cam?: what kind of film? i will mostly be in the clear waters of miami and the keys

Do you want a photo camera or a video camera?

If photo, then check out the various Olympus and Canon models. The Oly's come with a standard polycarbonate housing, which is tons cheaper than one made by an independent manufacturer.

My Oly C5050 hangs off my upper left arm by a strap, gun is in the right hand. I dont attach it to the belt as it could tangle in a cave, or kelp and I like knowing exactly where my pride and joy is at any given moment.

To use I just pull it down the arm, drop the gun and "wake" the camera up.

These days I often prefer the challenge of getting a good pic to spearing a fish, the same techniques, skills and knowledge has to be applied, but a good photo means getting a lot closer than if you were to simply spear the fish ;)

Cuban Hitch

SpearoPimp,
I would echo Shadowkiller's advice on the Olys and direct your attention to a "Cuban Hitch", which is an elastic chest harness made to hold a camera tight on your chest. To use the camera you simply grab it and pull it into shoooting position. Any significant photo supplier should have it or be able to get one.
Mark

thanks, but i load my gun on my chest and i don't want it to slip and hit my camera or for the cam to be in the way.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT