• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Warmest Socks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
anyone know where I can get some really warm socks that will fit in my Waterway foot pockets?
at the moment I have 3ml freeology socks and my feet go solid after about 15 minutes...

Sam

I am using some OMER socks that have seals on the outside of them- for sealing against the inside seal of your wetsuit.

I have 3mm and 5/6mm. I can fit the 5/6 mm socks inside my Specialfins footpockets without too much trouble. I used to wear the 3mm with my Waterway monofin.

You could also have something custom made by ELIOS.

Here's a picture of the socks- in my 'freediving' shoes.;)

Jon

Last edited:
5mm picasso black termics are said to be good but IMO any 5mm with good seals will do fine :)

the ones I have are a direct copy of the OMer ones. Thinking of getting an Elios suit so maybe I'll get them to do me some socks too!

I have a pair of "freediving" shoes just like that Jon!

thanks

Sam

Originally posted by Jon
Jon

rofl

What in the monkey-spank prompted you to take a picture of your FOOT last time we were out? Is that one of the important photos we worked so hard to recover from your currupt disk?

BTW, I've used Picassos and Omers. They've worked equally well. I agree with memo. How the sock fits on your foot (and subsequently, into the pocket) is the most important factor. My Picassos were dreadfully cold when I jammed them into cressi 40-41 pockets, but in my (looser) 40-42 spora pockets, they are very warm.

I shot that on one of those many outings where your, recently tanned, butt bailed on me.

Acutally, it was in reference to a thread from last year when someone was talking about hurting their feet while walking to the water in their wetsuit socks. I can wear these right out into waist-deep water and put my fins on while they stay tied to my float.

I had a pair of the Picasso's, actually two pair, but the sizes on their socks are the most screwed up things that I have ever seen- what should fit me was at least two sizes too small!

The OMER's have been pretty nice so far, and I still have an old pair of Esclapez socks that kept me warm for a long time before that.

Jon

You are damn right about Picasso socks being wierd sizes.

The other thing about socks is that you are best off with double nylon on the foot to make 'em last longer as theyget compressed really easily when you walk on them. Opencell inside are the worst. I can't even make them last a season.

I got sent a pair of Picasso commerical termic ones by accident last time - but haven't used them yet. Will give an update later in the season probably.

I wouldn't wear more than a 3mm sock in a monofin anyway as it saps too much power if the fin fits the socks, or squeezes your tootsies too much if the fin fits without socks. I'm talking about traditional footpockets here, not the omer ones on the specialfins. Looking forward to trying one of those at some point.

I'm using a 5mm Picasso Bio-termic sock. It's pretty warm, an hour in 33F/1C water before my toes get uncomfortable. There's a 3mm bio-termic sock as well in the DB store.

Oh ya!! I forgot how screwed up the sizing is for Picasso socks! I ordered a size 3/M which apparently fits 8.5-10.5... sounds good for me cause I'm a 9. Well they BARELY fit. they're actually perfect for me, but I'm glad I'm not a 9.5+ ordering these socks because there's no way they'd fit!

Jon, where did you get the OMER socks? I'd like to get a pair, but I can't seem to find them.

Aaron

At the time I got them through Pirate Scuba, but I now have a local shop set up to sell them.

Since I am a 9.5 the Picasso soxks didn't fit me and I ended selling them to Ted, who does fit into them.

Jon

take your normal Wear your normal socks, and then put on Thorlos Hiker socks, not the Lt Hiker, or the wool Hiker... they are polypropylene hiking socks, and they make a HUGE difference, and are unbelievably comfortable as well. Personally even though water flows through them pretty freely, they keep my feet warmer than 3 mm socks... they are also cheap too, and you can buy them at any sporting goods store. If you can't find that specific brand, just look for thick, comfortable hiking or snowboarding socks that are either pure polypropylene (it might be listed as polyester on the back of the package...) or wool/poly blend... just dont get any socks with cotton in them... Try it, and trust me, you will save the neoprene socks for ice diving :p

i used 1.5mm OMER socks for three hours with titanium inside nylon outside below 20 degree celcius and i did not even feel the water's temperature. No water slip in too.. Like water proof....

Originally posted by Jon
Jon, you have some really wierd beach sand near your dive sites...;)

Pretty funny sand is right!

Here it is, the second morning of May, and this is what my backyard looks like right now!

BTW: Ted and I are still planning on spearfishing this afternoon.

As far as the OMER socks go, they are no longer all that warm since I bought my new Elios wetsuit. My new suit is SO warm that I am thinking of ordering some new socks from them. My feet are now the coldest things on my body when I dive- which wasn't the case when I was using a 6.5mm Cressi Super-comp.

Jon

Last edited:
Jon,
Still snowing there?? We had 40F+ water and 75 air temp on a dive in Kingston last Friday! Tobermory on Sat tho was only 35 or so... still pretty cold.

I was in Milwakee last week, supposed to be there all day, but then the trip got changed and we ended up spending the day in St. Louis instead. But you almost got a call! One of these days it'll work out, and if not I'm still planning on being there for the Freediveapalooza :cool:

Let me know what you think of the elios socks if you end up getting some. I'm still using my Picasso socks, which work fine, but I have a hard time getting a good seal around the ankles. Maybe I'll just go for the Elios socks next winter. Either that or the Omer ones I guess.

All the best,
Aaron

Our day got a LOT better.

The sun came out, snow melted and it hit 50 degrees. We hit the water for about 4 hours and came back with a bunch of fish, two anchors, and a card full of digital shots.

I'll let you know if I decide to go for the Elios socks.

Jon

Last edited:
Wow! Hat's off buddy!

We found a computer monitor at around 45 feet in Georgian Bay on Sat, but I never seem to find anything really useful like an anchor, let alone two! Gord saw a 2' Walleye, but of course there's no spearing here. :(

Bet those fish were good! :p

Aaron

I've got the 3mm smooth skin lined socks from elios and they are really warm...just thought I'd mention it...

Fish look great BTW

Donna

Donna, What are they lined with on the outside and what rubber did you get? I was thinking about 5mm opencell inside with super-elastic on the outside- for walking around strength.

Here's one of the walleye from yesterday- which we can't shoot either.

Jon

Last edited:
I think thats what I got Jon, just in 3mm. I just looked on their website and can't see the ones I've got, but, and I'm sure I shouldn't admit to this but I will, I think I wear them inside out :D :D But they still keep my feet toasty and I just wear shoes!!! Anyway, if I wore them with blue on the oustide, it'd look stupid with my black suit :D

Donna

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT