• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Waterproof (50m) Oximeter/ SPO2/ Heart Rate

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

HoneyBadger

Jul 3, 2015
Hi,

Reading other threads, I came across this Oximeter device that's reads the oxygen saturation/ SPO2 and heart rate for static training.

The device is very affordable (around 30 USD) and has simple infrared sensors that gets the reading of these info from the fingertip.

I read a lot of buz when a 800+ USD dive computer has a heart rate monitor which I consider a basic functionality considering how simple it is to measure it but I've never found an oximeter in a dive computer though.

Even though when freediving there's blood shift to the body's core and at greater depths you can squeeze more O2 than at surface, why such device or functionality is not yet available in a dive computer for Freediving with some added calculations / algorithms according to the depth? Couldn't this help to monitor and alert for low levels of oxygen and thus avoid (some) blackouts?

Am I oversimplifying? Is there such thing? Thanks for your opinions/ feedback.

Using an oximeter to monitor pO2 conditions in freediving is tricky, mostly due to to vasoconstriction/centralisation which leads to unreliable readings if taken from the extremities. Blood flow is focused in the lungs-heart-brain area and any readings from f.ex. fingers are unreliable in low pO2 conditions.

So even if you could manage to make one waterproof, the reading would be unreliable unless your using something like this but I wouldn't mix diving and artery cathethers ;)

http://www.icumed.com/products/critical-care/pulmonary-artery-catheters.aspx

Tks for your feedback Lauri. These catheters don't look confortable indeed :)

I'm aware of the vasoconstrictions in the limbs, so the fingertip sensor would not generate accurate readings like you said.

But is this the only place where a spo2 can be used? There are also tongue spo2 sensors out there (for animals?) which could provide more accurate data (if confortable... and safe enough)

Some cientists have already invented vision through the tongue for the blind. A non invasive waterproof spo2 sensor sounds quite easy. Doent need to be 100% accurate... I guess some data would be better than no data... specially for something that is so important while free diving.

If that is not feasible now... I guess I'll have to wait until the below happens :)

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, interestingly enough I work at a military hospital and have found that for quadruple amputees to get a pulse ox we use the septum or the ear. Unfortunately however, due to the temperature of the water I'm sure that vasoconstriction occurs in the ear even in warmer waters. As far as the nose goes, I can't imagine how one could dive with a pediatric pulse ox on. Even if one didn't use a mask you would need to have a clip to equalize. Maybe I could help solve this problem when I go to medical school. If only we had nano technology capable of internally receiving and transmitting physiologic data.

I realize this is an old thread but what about using something like Nasal Alar SpO2 Sensor and a full face mask to collect the data. Then integrate that data stream into our dive computer. This should provide some near real-time data on our saturation levels. Also at some point we will have a neuralink. This would help with this problem.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT